Can I have my movie collection on my WD Network drive play from anywhere?
Hey there,

So I recently set up XBMC with my network drive so I can access my movie collection from anywhere in my house using multiple computers, xbmc boxes etc...
For this, I believe I used SMB. Now, this only allows me to access my collection when I'm at home. Is there an option that's equally as good, but allows me to access my collection from outside my home. I want to be able to open my laptop when away from home, run XBMC and play my collection from my network drive at home.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Set up a vpn and you will have the same experience as at home, network speed allowing.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks. What exactly is that? Any idea how I would go about doing that? And is that the only option for what I want to do?

Much appreciated.
A vpn is a virtual private network. It creates a secure tunnel through the internet to your home lan, and the result is that your remote computer appears network-wise to be at home. However bandwidth is probably going to be an issue for you.

How you set it up depends on what OS your laptop runs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hmm...

I'm running OS X on my laptop.

What do you mean by bandwidth will be an issue?

Thanks again!
I mean your network speeds over the internet may be insufficient to stream video successfully.
This may also be another option for you- http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=168296
I have never used it so I can't say how well it works. Just something you may want to take a look at.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Hmm, I'm also thinking of using PLEXBMC inside of XBMC. Seems to work. My only concern would be if Plex has access to my computer and information.
Who would know with closed source software. Take a look at mediabrowser 3.
(2014-01-14, 23:12)nickr Wrote: Who would know with closed source software. Take a look at mediabrowser 3.

Is there a Mac version of the server? Looks like windows only.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Presently under development I believe.
(2014-01-15, 00:41)nickr Wrote: Presently under development I believe.

Good to know. I like the on the fly transcoding.
(2014-01-14, 23:08)wreckthisplace Wrote: Hmm, I'm also thinking of using PLEXBMC inside of XBMC. Seems to work. My only concern would be if Plex has access to my computer and information.

Huh

What "access" are you concerned about? Plex will index your media just like XBMC does.

(2014-01-14, 23:12)nickr Wrote: Who would know with closed source software.

Seriously? Come on.
Do you know what info Plex reports back to HQ?

No I didn't think so.
I think it's pretty doubtful that Plex would do something nefarious with such data. Either way, there are laws regarding privacy policies being disclosed that they would have to follow if they did something funky. (I think. Unless Plex is HQ'ed in some random island nation in the middle of no where.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I have my movie collection on my WD Network drive play from anywhere?0