Nuc or mini itx build
Looking to build my second box for the living room. It has been about year since my last build so looking to get caught up. This will mainly be used for xbmc and some light activities. Thinking I will give windows 8.1 a go on this. Haven't really setup budget but let's say under $500. Will need Ethernet and just ssd for OS and some programs/apps. All data on unraid. Main reason asking is what's a better value? Want a cool quite setup and integrated ir would be nice. Anything else missing?

Also next question may post in general but what special things do you start to get into when have two+ xbmc setups? Any more difficult when looking at same unraid shares?
HTPC Basement: i3 3225, Asrock z77 pro4m, 8gb Crucial DDR3 1600, Samsung 840 120gb SSD, Silverstone GD05B Case

HTPC Livingroom: WIP

Server: UnRaid: Intel G550, Asrock B75 pro3m, 4gb ram, Parity Drive 3tb WD Red, Data 2 x 2tb WD Red, Cache 1tb WD Blue, Fractal Design XL R2 Case
If you must play a BluRay disc, then get mini-ITX because the case will be big enough to fit a drive. If you don't need to play a physical disc, then get a NUC.
Don't think I'll be using a drive in this build.
HTPC Basement: i3 3225, Asrock z77 pro4m, 8gb Crucial DDR3 1600, Samsung 840 120gb SSD, Silverstone GD05B Case

Server: UnRaid: Intel G550, Asrock B75 pro3m, 4gb ram, Parity Drive 3tb WD Red, Data 2 x 2tb WD Red, Cache 1tb WD Blue, Fractal Design XL R2 Case
If you're interested, take a look at what I built in August 2013.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170653
Thanks will check it out

Unless you have a fear of building your own mITX I recommend doing just that rather than the NUC box. The NUC boxes are cute but overpriced and underpowered compared to what you can build for yourself.
Maybe in a few more revisions the NUC will be more appealing and hopefully a bit cheaper.
(2014-01-15, 09:27)mattchapman Wrote: ....
Maybe in a few more revisions the NUC will be more appealing and hopefully a bit cheaper.

The New 2820 based nucs i think are going to be priced around 120 euros...
i think is a pretty fair price for a unit that can playback everything .... flawlessly... and has IR...
(ofc you need to add ram + usb (or ssd if someone can afford it... but still its a great price)
(2014-01-15, 10:51)solamnic Wrote: The New 2820 based nucs...
...a unit that can playback everything .... flawlessly...
It seems to be using the Ivy Bridge graphics architecture, so until reviews appear, it is currently unclear whether it will suffer from inaccurate 23.976 Hz like Ivy Bridge did.

Update: 23.976 Hz is supported accurately on the 2820.
Thinking of going the mini itx? What cases should I be looking at? Should I look into fan less or are the smaller cases quiet enough? Will be sitting under tv and seating is about 12ft away.

Avoid nuc and use an nvidia card. Run openelec and you'll only need 2G ram rather than the 4-8G that people seem to use for windows. And your ssd can be as small as 8G.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ok thinking go mini itx fan less build. How are the HDPlex cases. The 3series looks nice but appears not available. So maybe the H1? Don't want optical drive. Any other fan less recomendations besides streacom those expensive.

No case input?

(2014-01-15, 09:27)mattchapman Wrote: Unless you have a fear of building your own mITX I recommend doing just that rather than the NUC box. The NUC boxes are cute but overpriced and underpowered compared to what you can build for yourself.

They might not be scrape-the-bottom-cheap, but I wouldn't call the NUCs overpriced by any means. The new Celeron NUC can be had for about $137 shipped.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nuc or mini itx build0