Is there any way to disable exclusive audio mode when using a WASAPI output?
Hi all, I've been having an issue with the latest version of XBMC (12.3 Frodo) taking exclusive control of my audio channel. I'm using a Xonar DG sound card, and my front panel outputs are WASAPI. My problem is that I use my computer for things other than just multimedia. I need to be able to hear VoIP and incoming email notifications while watching a movie. Is there any way to stop XBMC from taking exclusive control of a WASAPI audio channel? I don't care about having bitwise output. I just want regular sound, and I want to hear all the sounds my computer makes while a movie is playing. Sad
WASAPI only works in exclusive mode, what you need to do is use the Directsound option if you want sound routed through the Windows mixer in order to hear other sounds.
(2014-01-15, 12:24)jjd-uk Wrote: WASAPI only works in exclusive mode, what you need to do is use the Directsound option if you want sound routed through the Windows mixer in order to hear other sounds.

The option to use the front panel connectors with DirectSound isn't there. Only WASAPI. I don't really understand why. I have four options under Audio output device:

DirectSound: Speakers (ASUS Xonar DG)
DirectSound: Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (ASUS Xonar DG)
DirectSound: SPDIF Pass-through Device (ASUS Xonar DG)
WASAPI: SPDIF - Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
WASAPI: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)

I don't understand why the WASAPI channels are listed as part of High Definition Audio Device. My front panel header is plugged into my Xonar DG sound card, so why is it listed as a separate sound system? This seems to be a problem with XBMC. By contrast, Ventrilo, MPC-HC, and a number of other programs all see the ASUS Xonar DG channel as DirectSound. Why doesn't XBMC give me a DirectSound option for this connection where other programs do?
From that list you have the same device listed with both Directsound and WASAPI options, so if you currently use WASAPI SPDIF use Directsound SPDIF, or if WASAPI Speakers currently then use Directsound Speakers.
(2014-01-16, 02:15)jjd-uk Wrote: From that list you have the same device listed with both Directsound and WASAPI options, so if you currently use WASAPI SPDIF use Directsound SPDIF, or if WASAPI Speakers currently then use Directsound Speakers.

It's not the same device, though. You'd think so, but it's not. The WASAPI Speaker option is front panel. The DirectSound Speaker option is back panel. I have no idea why. I don't even have anything plugged into the back panel port.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there any way to disable exclusive audio mode when using a WASAPI output?0