• 230(current)
Release Aeon Nox 5
Just remember that includes are just 'shortcuts' for code. It still translates to very real extra controls. So even if the skin code is mean and lean, the actual processing is still for that large amount of controls.
I def still have lots to learn.
Will have re-read that old thread I found asking about what causes performance drops.
Is there a newer resource on optimizing skin code you know of or will the same hold true for the current Kodi skinning engine?
Do you mean the existence of the includes uses up memory cause it is all added when the skin loads? I assumed the window would use less resources if the include was conditional so it basically skipped that code unless it met the condition Huh

I hope none of that sounds silly... Confused
Nope, not silly at all Smile
It's just a matter of amount of controls and visibility checks basically. The more there are of those, the more performance degrades. Might not notice it on x86 but it is noticeable on ARM for sure.
Showcase is a nice example. Because of the amount of controls it has to just show the view it can never be smooth on pi2, no matter the optimizations done in code as we still need to show the list 3 times.

EDIT: and getting a pi2/3 is a good decision anyways. Imo it is THE best platform for Kodi. The amount of optimization done for that platform is really good.
That's interesting... Have you ever seen phil65's rewrite of showcase view from his Aeon Nox fork?

I'm wondering if the use of PARAM's and constants like that would increase performance or not.

The widgets in my mod use the skin shortcuts template feature so none of that code should be loaded until the user adds it themselves, at least that is how I think it works, so maybe that can somehow be used in a clever way.

On the skin shortcuts note... I'm thinking maybe we should close that PR for replacing the Main Menu? The way you have it now works well and the hard coded menus don't use up too much code. Not sure if you really want the whole menu to rely on a script. I stopped updating the PR awhile ago but can always open a new one or continue updating it if you ever want to add it since I do not plan on deleting that branch. Thoughts?
My main concern for that was that users will have to setup a new menu. That can't be solved i think in an easy way.
But I would be surprised if the use of params and constants would increase performance. In the end the engine still needs to process all those controls and conditions. Its just cosmetics for convenance of the skinner imo.
I did ask the resident skin shortcuts genius BobCratchett about that and I believe I recall him saying that it would not be an easy thing to do. I guess a separate python script would be needed to import skin strings and output the properties and DATA.xml files in the scripts addon_data folder. Not something I have even remotely enough knowledge to start let alone complete. That is, of course, if what I said above makes any sense at all Rofl
Imo 6 custom menu's is enough for 90% of users Smile
We have a horizontal menu layout, it makes no sense to scroll 20 times to get to the menu you want Smile
I agree. Also the other 10% either don't know they can change the non-custom to whatever or do not want to because they'd rather disable and keep it around for some reason Rofl

I added cause it seemed like what all the cool kids were doing and I wanted to learn something in the process Smile
(2016-08-04, 01:30)mikeSiLVO Wrote: I agree. Also the other 10% either don't know they can change the non-custom to whatever or do not want to because they'd rather disable and keep it around for some reason Rofl

I added cause it seemed like what all the cool kids were doing and I wanted to learn something in the process Smile

Yeah I've been there and done that Smile v4 was great but it got out of control because we listened to everyone and in the end you get an unmaintainable mess Big Grin
Oh I don't mean your mod with that btw Smile
I know that Smile but it is very good advice.

Kinda feel that way about the widgets ATM over 10,000 lines of code and users are asking for changes and I don't even wanna start looking through it cause I know I'm gonna want to remove stuff like crazy and you know better than most that once you remove something everyone comes out just to b*tch about it Nod

Like the comments in the beginning of this thread particularly that nugget of wisdom in post #23 Wink
Exactly Smile When I realized that I thought by myself I will make a skin I want and according to what I think is usable. You might have noticed I havent inclined to user requests since the release of v5. It's because I want to do it my way Smile
Some pics of the changes to PVR Smile
watch gallery

Highlights:
Removed unused code
Changed some String.IsEqual to IsEmpty
Added a recording icon in other areas and views
Removed more fadetime from layouts
Fixed a weird issue of progress bar flashing on change like a fadetime in lists but it wasn't Wink
Some alignment changes and fixes
Hide some settings when using Compact InfoBar
Removed Large option for EPG, doesn't actually change anything
Changed icon location for minified EPG
Fix visibles for hiding sidemenu buttons
Some EPG fallback issues for no icon
Updated genre colors in new_pvr\epg-genres
Fix videowindow size for BigList channel view
Removed ListItem.Overlay image from areas it wasn't used
And probably a bunch more that I can't remember Tongue
Not sure if you want all of those changes...

Not quite finished yet but I am almost done with the current stuff that has yet to be pushed to my fork. Probably sometime tonight or tomorrow, hopefully.
As you are talking about improvements for the Live-TV section, I want to throw another improvement in the ring (already mentioned):
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2369018
please don't slap me for this Wink

changes:
- moved date under the channel logo, so it only appears once and not in every entry
- added actual channel logo to the left
- expanded the text for the EPG
- fixed scrollbar. It was far right before
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
  • 230(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Nox 537