Can I have my movie collection on my WD Network drive play from anywhere?
(2014-01-15, 08:26)nickr Wrote: Do you know what info Plex reports back to HQ?

No I didn't think so.

This kind of FUD is ridiculous and uncalled for.
Really ridiculous huh? Like the thought that your LG tv might do the same?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
OK, then use the exact same technique used to discover that the LG TV was doing it and report back, rather than 100% baseless speculation and insinuation. And it really has nothing to do with closed or open source. This is the very definition of FUD. We get it, you like open source software, good for you. No reason that means you should speculate like that. You could just go read their legal page https://plex.tv/legal
I don't use plex at present so I'm not doing the tests.

This started with the OP asking if plex server gave plex company access to his data, I said who would know, it's closed source. I didn't imply anything. However if it was open source, an audit of the code would tell us. As it is closed source, someone would have to sniff the traffic to tell, and even then it might be encrypted.

Let me be clear I am not accusing plex of snooping any data, I am simply saying I don't know what they do.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
We're headquartered in the US, with a center of gravity in the Bay Area.

As mentioned above, you can read our full privacy policy here ~ https://plex.tv/legal

tl;dr; During a scan, if you have "Send anonymous usage data to Plex" checked, we send up a bit of information about matches that were made (or fixed later) to improve our agents. This information is stored without any IP address or any other identifiable data. If you don't have that box checked, we don't send anything up at all.

Make sense?
Thank you for the clarification.
Use plex. It works really well but xbmc is definitely better for lan streaming and htpc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I have my movie collection on my WD Network drive play from anywhere?0