Anyone offer RPi/XBMC preloaded ready to go?
I've been researching HTPC options for awhile now and while I'd like a powerful kickass system, it sounds like a basic Raspberry Pi with OpenElec or Raspbmc may be my best option. Ultimately, I'd like about four of these devices for different rooms so going the RPi route is appealing for cost too. I'm just going to be streaming online content and from a NAS via Plex or XBMC so no gaming or other intensive tasks. Surfing the web from the couch would be nice but not vital. I would like to have a remotes regardless. I could probably sort it out on my own but my days of having the time and interest of playing with hardware and software are about a decade in the rear view mirror.

So I guess my question is if anyone sells a product that has everything pre-installed on a flash drive or SD card so it's more or less plug and play. I know that kind of goes against the hands-on beauty of Raspberry Pi but I'm a slacker and paying a little more for a functioning XBMC system sounds more appealing than buying all the components individually and installing an OS + XBMC and configuring everything.

Or if the consensus is that RPi isn't going to be enough to perform well for one or two years, should I just suck it up and build a microATX setups?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
You won't get consensus, that's for sure!

For bedrooms etc if your TV has CEC and you have wired ethernet connection, then the Pi would work well. You can be overcharged a lot for pre-built Pi bundles though, if you are UK based Pi Hut is about the best value I have seen - don't know about US.
You could also consider an Android device like the Ouya which will have its own remote and wireless capability (though wireless is not recommended for streaming!).

For web browsing and the main TV though, I would recommend going with a proper PC.
Basically, I took the same road - After reading about what you can do, I checked what I need to do and what I can actually take value from with my current knowledge - So I ended up pre-ordering a Bay Trail Celeron for my living room, but since it seems to take forever to actually make them available, I ordered an RPi for the mean time audio / low-level video and for later use as secondary system for the bed room.

As far as I understand, the RPi is a Single platine computer with Board, Chip, Memory without a case (Like a phone with interchangeable covers). So if I am not mistaken, all I need is
0) Unbox
1) Place this one small platine into the plastic case (financial risk: < 50 $ or €)
2) Plug it into your mobile phone's USB charger (until you decide to bay a dedicated Power Supply for 7 $ or €)
3) and to copy the RPi Image of OpenElec to a 1 or 2 GB SD and put it in the slot.
4) I to plug in an Ethernet cable, otherwise you need to add a USB-Wifi-Stick.

If I am not completely off-road here, only steps 1) and 3) are additional to a pre-installed system, which really doesn't give me sleepless nights. I understand that you want to have one throat to twist if the thing doesn't run properly, but I don't think the plastic box or the SD/files will be something to challenge my or your skills Smile Since there is an OpenElec build specifically for RPi, I am not sure if it requires any configuration, at all - Maybe the pros here can answer that.

Well I will keep you posted when I receive the stuff on Tuesday.
(2014-01-18, 20:12)novamax Wrote: 2) Plug it into your mobile phone's USB charger (until you decide to bay a dedicated Power Supply for 7 $ or €)

Be VERRRY careful about this one! The biggest problem people have with Pis are chargers that are not up to the job (i.e. most phone chargers). Should be rated 1.2A or more (preferably more)
Otherwise @Novomax, you are correct - the Pi is straightforward to setup, other than writing MPEG2 licenses to the config.txt file, there is nothing much to trip you up.
http://www.totalxbmc.tv/newsite/product/raspberry_pi/
Sorry, forgot about this one - Actually, I have a 2.0 A (Nexus 7) charger, so I am safe for a start. Actually, I would have tried my 1.0 A Huawei charger, but I understand this would be not such a good idea.

I will look up the MPEG2 stuff, thanks for the hint.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone offer RPi/XBMC preloaded ready to go?0