ATV2 crashing with large movie collection
Greeting,

I am experiencing crashing issue with ATV2 that I believe is related to large collection of video. I first experienced it with 12.0. I had since performed a fresh-installation of 12.3 but the problem persisted. I seek your help.

First off, my setup:

ATV2 with Apple TV Software 5.0.2 (4250)
XBMC 12.3 (but same problem with 12.0)
Install method was using apt-get
debug log posted at: http://pastebin.com/S4KYyqKc

I've previously encountered something similar to this before, but that was due to the fact that my video collection was too large and I was storing all the thumbnails locally at ATV2 (i.e. I was running out of space on ATV2). I have since used an NFS node to store the thumbnails. The advancedsettings.xml is:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>nfs://192.168.1.145/srv/Video/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

<fanartres>720</fanartres>

<imageres>384</imageres>

</advancedsettings>

I also have plenty of space on my ATV2:
Code:
Apple-TV:~ root# df -m .
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/disk0s1s2            6920       619      6301   9% /private/var

At the moments, I have about 300 movies. Whenever I enter into the Movie from the main menu, xbmc will crash within 5 seconds and exit to the iOS. If I go to the TV from the main menu though, everything is fine and I can watch my TV episodes without any issues.

Can some experts tell me what may be the problem so I can debug it?

any help is very much appreciated.

ps. there is no crashlog (*.plist) dated at the same time as the xbmc-crash.
Well, "The Lone Ranger.mkv" is the last file XBMC processes in your log before XBMC crashes. It's possible that there's something funky in that file that is causing XBMC to freak out. Just to rule it out, try temporarily moving that movie file somewhere else and see if XBMC is able to display the Movies then.
and it would appear that you are absolutely right. I have removed the folder containing the said movie, and ATV2 is functioning just as expected.

The said directory contained:

.mkv
.nfo
.tbn, and
*fanart.jpg

It was post-processed by couchpotato and nothing seemed out of ordinary. Can this be an ATV2/xbmc/nfs bug?

I have at least 4 other xbmc installations:

2x official android builds
1x OpenElec 3.2.4 Intel build
1x OpenElec 3.2.4 RPi build

none of these 4 has this problem, but they do not use nfs-share to store thumbnails: they all store thumbnails locally.

(2014-01-19, 14:16)Ned Scott Wrote: Well, "The Lone Ranger.mkv" is the last file XBMC processes in your log before XBMC crashes. It's possible that there's something funky in that file that is causing XBMC to freak out. Just to rule it out, try temporarily moving that movie file somewhere else and see if XBMC is able to display the Movies then.
If it's not too much trouble, could you zip up the jpg, tbn, and nfo files and put them on Dropbox or something? That way our devs can have a look to see if it is one of those files causing the issue.
sure thing. Can you please verify that you can access the following file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3bml66v6hc4lfw/temp.rar
turn off thumbnail extraction as mentioned in the ios faq in the wiki and be done ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Indeed, that works too. Thanks very much.

(2014-01-21, 21:51)Memphiz Wrote: turn off thumbnail extraction as mentioned in the ios faq in the wiki and be done ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 crashing with large movie collection0