No sound at all when using DirectSound
Hi all, I'm having a very frustrating issue configuring XBMC. Simply put, selecting the DirectSound Speakers option for Audio Output Device doesn't work. I get no sound. I get sound just fine if I just WASAPI Speakers, but I don't want XBMC to take exclusive control of my sound card. Other DirectSound applications play just fine on the DirectSound Speakers device. Do I have something set incorrectly? My understanding is that there shouldn't be any other settings that need changed when using DirectSound, so what gives?

--------

Audio Output: Analog
Speaker Configuration: 2.0
Boost volume level on downmix: YES
Output stereo to all speakers: YES

Audio Output Device: DirectSound: Speakers - Speakers (ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device)

Play GUI sounds: Only when playback stopped

---------

Edit: Videos stutter big time with DirectSound Speakers set for audio also. Something bizarre is going on under this program's hood. Can someone shed some light on what?
(2014-01-20, 00:33)Mixels Wrote: Audio Output Device: DirectSound: Speakers - Speakers (ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device)
XBMC might be correct for recognized it as WASAPI through Xonar, If you want to use DirectSound, you might want to use GPU instead...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
What does this show in Windows when the desired audio device is acting as the Default Audio device.

In Device Manager what is shown under Sound, video and game controllers

(2014-01-20, 05:34)bluray Wrote:
(2014-01-20, 00:33)Mixels Wrote: Audio Output Device: DirectSound: Speakers - Speakers (ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device)
XBMC might be correct for recognized it as WASAPI through Xonar, If you want to use DirectSound, you might want to use GPU instead...
Maybe, but that seems unlikely to me. I run Ventrilo and a number of other applications in DirectSound mode on the same device.

(2014-01-20, 13:25)jjd-uk Wrote: What does this show in Windows when the desired audio device is acting as the Default Audio device.

In Device Manager what is shown under Sound, video and game controllers

From your previous post, is it the "DirectSound: Speakers (ASUS Xonar DG)" device you are choosing in XBMC?
(2014-01-21, 08:27)Mixels Wrote:
(2014-01-20, 05:34)bluray Wrote:
Maybe, but that seems unlikely to me. I run Ventrilo and a number of other applications in DirectSound mode on the same device.
I understand! I saw number of posts having trouble using Xonar with XBMC. Luckily you at least got Xonar working with WASAPI. Others cannot get it to work with XBMC consistently.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-01-21, 12:22)jjd-uk Wrote: From your previous post, is it the "DirectSound: Speakers (ASUS Xonar DG)" device you are choosing in XBMC?
Yep!

(2014-01-21, 16:06)bluray Wrote:
(2014-01-21, 08:27)Mixels Wrote:
(2014-01-20, 05:34)bluray Wrote: XBMC might be correct for recognized it as WASAPI through Xonar, If you want to use DirectSound, you might want to use GPU instead...
I understand! I saw number of posts having trouble using Xonar with XBMC. Luckily you at least got Xonar working with WASAPI. Others cannot get it to work with XBMC consistently.....
I'm pretty confident this isn't the fault of the sound card. I've had no issues at all with any other programs, including many different media players and VoIP clients. If this is really a problem with XBMC, that makes me sad because my two favorite media players for playing my PLEX library are XBMC and PLEX. The newest version of the PLEX player, though, seems to be a reskin of XBMC, so it has the same issue. I can't use WASAPI, either, because I need to be able to hear the sounds generated by other applications. XBMC really wants to run in Exclusive mode when using WASAPI, and I just can't use it like that. Sad
I didn't saw any logfile yet. It might help to see why the device fails. Only Gotham versions please.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
As well as the debug log file, see log_file (wiki) for how to do this, it would be helpful to know the GUID's for the audio devices as this is what XBMC uses to set the active audio device.

Could you go into regedit and grab this screen for the Speakers (ASUS Xonar DG) audio device under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render, for example

I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but this just hit me as well. Xonar DG as well, BUT everything was working perfectly on Win10 x64 Home. I just did an upgrade to Win10 x64 Pro, and now I am having the exact same problem as above. I can run multiple sound sources outside of Kodi, but Kodi MUST be exclusive WASAPI - DirectSound doesn't give any sound... which doesn't work for me either.

So the card is fine, and has worked in the past perfectly fine with Kodi... Just not on the re-install. Assistance is appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound at all when using DirectSound0