Picture looks washed out on upgrading to Intel Haswell
Hi
I recently upgraded my AMD system running on Openelec to a new Intel Haswell (i3-4130) system running on Windows.
First thing I noticed was that the picture is looking a little washed out compared to my previous setup. Specifically, the black levels are more "grey" than before.

I'm using the latest Intel HD 4400 VGA driver and my TV is a Samsung F7100. I'm also using XBMC Frodo 12.3.

An ideas what's going on?

Thanks!
This is the first message I've seen with this issue, and would suspect the new video driver set-up. Ensure your cables are solid, then calibrate your panel for the new card (might be a coincidence, but perhaps your panel see's the new device differently). I'm sure you know the internal XBMC contrast & brightness tools and settings for all in the OSD. For what it's worth XBMC is just display software moving pixels around and really doesn't muss with the base settings of your panel. Keep in mind a lot of new panels have auto adjusting provisions for external light, time of day and can alter your settings depending on external light sources.
After doing some reading I think it may have something to do with the 0-255 vs 16-255 black levels. My Samsung TV has an option called "HDMI black level Normal/Low" which I turned to Low and it looks better now. I just thought it unusual that there was a change from my AMD to the Intel system.
If it was within XBMC Frodo to Gotham, I'm sure I would have caught it too, that's why I pointed back at your panel. I have tested out a few gfx cards and can attest that resolution and gama can vary in this part of the hardware, even though I don't see a lot of comparison testing in this area, nor reporting in the specifications that card A is sharper/clearer in card B.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picture looks washed out on upgrading to Intel Haswell0