Plot/description from UPnP metadata
I've been using xmbc on a Raspberry Pi for a while now (OpenELEC) viewing content from either MythTV or Serviio running on an iMac. All is good.

I have, up until now, been watching stuff from Serviio over upnp using the "Folder" category which basically just serves the content using it's raw filename so no metadata comes with it. As Serviio can fetch the metadata I have decided I'd like to watch my content in a more ordered fashion, which includes things like episode plot/description.

The only problem is that xbmc only seems to grab/display the cover art and doesn't display any other metadata such as plot, cast or anything else.

Is there something missing or does it only, at the moment, display coverart using upnp metadata?

I don't want to use SMB shares and let xbmc do the scraping.
I don't think there's any settings to change for UPnP metadata. I'm sure this is something that could be supported in the future, but I don't know the full details or how easy/hard it might be. In theory most of this stuff should be "easy" because UPnP is all about being a standard, but that depends on various things, like if XBMC is using UPnP in a standard way, and if Serviio is using XBMC in a standard way, etc.
I am able to view the metadata using UPnP-Inspector so I assume Serviio is using UPnP in a standard way, especially considering it is a DLNA server. I just would have thought that XBMC is doing the same.
I would have thought the same thing. Hmmm.
So I guess I post something in the Feature Suggestions forum then?
I setup XBMC as a UPnP server on the iMac today, pointing it at the same content, and shared that to XBMC running on the Raspberry Pi. In other words, I used XMBC as the server instead of Serviio and all rest of the metadata came through, such as the description.

So does XBMC do some extra things with UPnP or is Serviio missing some?

I wish XBMC could use UPnP as a "proper" source where you can set content so you get the extra Movies and TV Shows views.
It could be something as simple as the UPnP server identifying itself as a certain type of server, or something. I'm fairly certain that what you are trying to do is a goal for XBMC's UPnP abilities, as the last two years there have been very significant updates to XBMC's internal UPnP client. However, our head UPnP dev had to take time away from XBMC sometime last year, and hasn't been able to get back to it yet. He's very passionate about it, so it's probably just a matter of time.

However, a new project has been started by some other devs to expand upon XBMC's sharing abilities, in part using UPnP, and in the future it will be possible for UPnP sources to be real library sources.
Ok, thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plot/description from UPnP metadata0