Streaming from xbox
i recently placed a 200g hard drive in my xbox, with the intent of using my xbox as a file server, assuming that xbmc would somehow allow this functionality.

but, as my subsiquent searching discovered, xbmc has no smb server built in, nor does it plan to add this functionality in the future. i took to the interweb to search for solutions, and the only real solution i've found is to install gentoox with the media player addition, which can only be installed on a fresh f drive, while removing anything else from the drive. hardly an ideal solution.

now, what i'd love - and i know from reading several discussions on this forum and over at xbox-scene forums a number of other people would love - is to have some sort of file server built into xbmc that would allow for streaming - smb, afp, or something similar.

now excuse my ignorence, but is something like this far outside the bounds of python? if it's possible, a python smb server would be brilliant. if not, perhaps our only hope is to convince the developers of xbmc that enough users would like a smb server built in to justify devoting some development time to the project. i suppose that topic fits into the bigger debate about wether or not xbmc should become a more complete dashboard, or focus rigidly on only playing media.

a modded xbox with xbmc seems like a fairly ideal file storage platform - i'd love to be able to store my photos and things on the device and view them on my tv, or share them over the network, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this well without losing other xbox functionality.

ironically, xbmc will quite happily stream any media file from another xbox's ftp server. also, you could look into various pc applications that create a mapped network drive using the ftp protocol. it wont be perfect, but it will work.

jk

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming from xbox0