Realan E-I7, ODD and 2*2.5" drives
Hello,

I am trying to setup a XBMC box with a Realan E-i7:
http://www.minicase.net/product_E-I7.html

I bought an Asrock Z87E-ITX but I am confused on how to mount the 2*2.5" hard drives.
I cannot mount them both horizontally: one has to be horizontal and the other vertical. However the vertical one is either taking the room for the PCI-express card (if placed on the left) or bumping on the CPU fan (if placed on the right).

It seems that several people here have such a case. Maybe you can enlighten me ?

Thanks in advance,
Are both 2.5" hard drives or is one an SSD?
They are both hard drives.

I may have found a way by putting the vertical one completely against the right side (may have to drill a hole to fix the hard drive).
It's a bit strange because even with the ODD, I have a LOT of space underneath. For instance I think I could have put both 2.5" hard drives side by side if the iron upper plate was correctly designed.

By the way I have intuitively placed the CPU fan to vent toward the sides. Mainly because the RAM was blocking the air flow toward the front.
However on most pictures, I have seen that people orient the CPU fan to vent towards the rear and the front.

I could not quite decide what is the best orientation:
  • CPU fan with vent on the sides: throw heat at the graphic card and at the CMOS battery (battery don't like heat).
  • CPU fan with vent on front/rear: throw heat at the RAM.

Do you have some insight on the subject ?

I'd go with the way you have it. Then, if you add a 80mm side fan, which you'll likely need with all that you have in there, it'll blow across and not be blocked by the HSF.
Ok indeed I have added a 80mm side fan and it seems logical to line them this way (CPU fan to vent on the sides, 80mm side fan placed on the right to evacuate the heat).
It seems however that the case is not designed this way (cool air is designed to come from sides and evacuate to the rear).

This case is quite nice. We should be able to put a lot of hard drives in theres but unfortunately the iron upper plate is strangely designed (at least for my motherboard). I guess I'll have to dust up by drilling skills !

Thank you very much for your advice !
You're welcome. Usually it's a 2.5" SSD + 2.5" HDD in which case the HDD goes under the ODD and then by drilling one hole in the upper metal plate you can install the SDD vertically. I can see how that would be hard with your motherboard. You could block the PCIe slot for now if you are not using it and do a more serious mod later.
Yes putting one HDD (or SSD) vertically on the left can block the PCIe slot.
However on the right, there is room left but it will block the 80 mm side fan.

The best solution would be to mount both 2.5" HDD horizontally (side by side) under the ODD. But it will require to seriously change the upper metal plate (or at least the removable part which comes under).

Thanks for your help !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Realan E-I7, ODD and 2*2.5" drives0