SQL Shared database settings in XBMC and advanced settings advice
Hi,

I have an ATV2 (V11 Eden) perfectly working for 2 years with my nas (synology with mysql) using the following advancedsettings.xml
<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.15</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.15</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_music</name>
</musicdatabase>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
</gui>
</advancedsettings>

I also add a a source like this smb://192.168.1.15/movies

Now I have added a RaspberryPi (openelec latest version)
I added the same advancedsettigs.xml

My question is do i have to add a source also?
It seems to work without doing it, so my second question is the source on my ATV2 also necessary?
I looked at the wiki but could make it out!

Thanks for the help.
My personal preference (NOT Supported by the Official WIKI) is to create a share and dump my entire userdata folder in it. Exported as a share (samba/CIFS); then mounted it on each of the clients and create a hard (not symbolic) link from the mounted share to each of the xml files (individually) and each of the folders (also individually). Once I do that I only have to worry about maintaining a single set of configuration files (NOWEVER, now that UPNP is being given a more prominent role, you will need to keep a unique local copy for upnpserver.xml in each client if you want to keep upnp functionality. Since we both use mysql that is not an issue). But beyond that all is well. It has worked this way for over 3.5 years...

...but REMEMBER: ***NOT Supported by the Official WIKI***
(2014-01-25, 21:12)jacintech.fire Wrote: My personal preference (NOT Supported by the Official WIKI) is to create a share and dump my entire userdata folder in it. Exported as a share (samba/CIFS); then mounted it on each of the clients and create a hard (not symbolic) link from the mounted share to each of the xml files (individually) and each of the folders (also individually). Once I do that I only have to worry about maintaining a single set of configuration files (NOWEVER, now that UPNP is being given a more prominent role, you will need to keep a unique local copy for upnpserver.xml in each client if you want to keep upnp functionality. Since we both use mysql that is not an issue). But beyond that all is well. It has worked this way for over 3.5 years...

...but REMEMBER: ***NOT Supported by the Official WIKI***

That would be an extra bad idea because he would be trying to share data between XBMC v11 on the ATV2 and XBMC v12 on the Pi. Not to mention that the Pi has very specific configuration needs even if it was the same version of XBMC.
source.xml is not required for MySQL to work.

However, you are mixing XBMC v11 (ATV2) and XBMC v12 (Pi), so your library won't actually be in sync. It might start out that way, but that's because MySQL now has two copies of the database, one for each version of XBMC. When one gets new videos, or different watch status, it won't show up on the other. This is why the MySQL (wiki) guide has a very large warning saying that you must use the same version of XBMC.
Ned,

Thanks for your quick reply, so what would be your advice? Upgrade the ATV to V12?
Any other options? I'm really happy with V11 and it is really rock solid!
I just would like to have my library in sync between my 2 devices. (probably 4 when this problem wil be fixed)
If you want sync, you need to run the same version on each client.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-25, 23:52)nickr Wrote: If you want sync, you need to run the same version on each client.

Yes...and Yes. Right on both count (Same version for synch...out of synch otherwise...)...
Ok i get that, but i read many posts about ATV2 and Frodo problems...so sincemy ATV is working perfectly with Eden for 2 yaers, i'm not sure about upgrading.
What about RPi with eden?
(2014-01-26, 13:26)jpcolin Wrote: What about RPi with eden?

not a chance.

Option would be Gotham then.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-01-25, 21:12)jacintech.fire Wrote: My personal preference (NOT Supported by anyone with half a clue) is to create a share and dump my entire userdata folder in it.

There, fixed it for you... Wink
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-01-27, 14:53)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2014-01-25, 21:12)jacintech.fire Wrote: My personal preference (NOT Supported by the official wiki; but if you like experimenting, please do so and see what happens) is to create a share and dump my entire userdata folder in it.

There, fixed it for you... Wink

...and yet...and yet...and yet...Still working, non-stop, without a glitch, for 3.5, count 'em, 3.5 years...
I don't know about you, but I go with tangible results...everything else is heresay...
You base your evidence ("tangible results") on the experience of 1 person. Statistically speaking, irrelevant.

Whereas my knowledge is based on a reasonable understanding of how this stuff actually works, and I can only say you're either fibbing, or incredibly fortunate. But please, don't let any of this stop you from playing fast and loose with your data, using single-user database technology in a networked multi-user environment, heaven forbid you would actually listen to anyone that might know better than you.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
ok so i might replace my ATV2 with a RPi, testing Milhouse builds and seems quite fast, not worse than the ATV...
trying to get the best possible setup on the Pi, then i will evaluate the situation, at the moment, my library is not in sinc, but not a big deal...
(2014-01-28, 06:37)MilhouseVH Wrote: You base your evidence ("tangible results") on the experience of 1 person. Statistically speaking, irrelevant.

Whereas my knowledge is based on a reasonable understanding of how this stuff actually works, and I can only say you're either fibbing, or incredibly fortunate. But please, don't let any of this stop you from playing fast and loose with your data, using single-user database technology in a networked multi-user environment, heaven forbid you would actually listen to anyone that might know better than you.

At risk of beating a dead horse: Can you design a "vetifiable" scenario that would usher this dire apocalypse of which you speak...?
...Because I gotta tell you, 3.5 years is a lot of TV-hours, a lot of CPU cycles, a lot of RPM on 'DEM drives; a lot of power fluctuations; and a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong. At what point do we start saying, possible; but not recommended...?
Simultaneous client updates should do the trick. Try kicking off a scrape on two clients at the same time. Maybe it's not something you are likely to do under normal circumstances, and updates in your setup are rare with must clients "reading" the database, but that's not to say it won't happen - you've just been fortunate that you haven't provoked the circumstances that are likely to result in corruption.

Any simultaneous attempt by two different clients to update the database is likely to result in corruption.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SQL Shared database settings in XBMC and advanced settings advice0