Solved Tak decoding in gotham?
Hi.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask.
Yesterday i saw that with 1.1 ffmpeg added the compatibility with the lossless tak audio codec and xbmc updated ffmpeg in gotham to 1.2.
So i decided to try the latest build of gotham to see if it works since i have some file in that format but it doesn't. If i select the file it doesn't recognise it as audio.
IDK how these things works bu can someone explain to me why doesn't actually work (licensing issues, disabled by default, no support from developers) and if i can can make it work building it by myself changing something?

The solution is at post 2 and 11
Try: Advancedsettings.xml#.3Cmusicextensions.3E (wiki)
(2014-01-27, 21:31)uNiversal Wrote: Try: Advancedsettings.xml#.3Cmusicextensions.3E (wiki)

Thanks for the suggestion. Now it is recognised as audio but still it doesn't work. in the log i get:
20:36:58 T:6284 ERROR: CAudioDecoder: Unable to Init Codec while loading file C:\path\to\audio.tak
20:36:58 T:6284 WARNING: PAPlayer::QueueNextFileEx - Failed to create the decoder
Probably isnt then unsupported by xbmc

You could ask a developer, like fritsch more about this in IRC #xbmc but in any case you should have some full pastebin of Debug log (wiki) to present both here and there. Log snippets not a good idea. Wink
If that wasnt clear... pastebin a full Debug log (wiki) Wink
This is just a guess, but maybe there needs to be a rule to run dvdplayer instead of paplayer for this file-type to use ffmpeg (I'm showing ignorance in how ffmpeg is used in XBMC)?

scott s.
(2014-01-27, 22:55)scott967 Wrote: This is just a guess, but maybe there needs to be a rule to run dvdplayer instead of paplayer for this file-type to use ffmpeg (I'm showing ignorance in how ffmpeg is used in XBMC)?

scott s.

Try context menu on the file and select play using dvdplayer. See if that actually plays it so at least know it could work
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-01-27, 22:58)Martijn Wrote: Try context menu on the file and select play using dvdplayer. See if that actually plays it so at least know it could work

I tried and actually manually forcing to dvdplayer do the trick.
I didn't tried it manually because (reading this) the fallback to dvdplayer should be automatic when paplayer don't find the right decoder. Is this a bug or is the wiki that needs to be updated?

A related question. The wiki says that Dvdplayer has less functions than paplayer (obviously) but what are the main missing?
Eh really pastebin a full Debug log (wiki) no one is going to help you without one. Have the Log show both pap and dvdplayer attempts on this file.

The wiki needs updating, cleaning up, improving. So feel free to register and have a go. Wink
Eh really pastebin a full Debug log (wiki) no one is going to help you without one. Have the Log show both pap and dvdplayer attempts on this file.
[/quote]
Actually they already helped me and my question about paplayer isn't related to the log but still here's the log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=117802

(2014-01-28, 11:17)uNiversal Wrote: The wiki needs updating, cleaning up, improving. So feel free to register and have a go. Wink
It needs updating only if it's not a bug.
IMO reverting automatically back to dvdplayer is the way it should work but only a developer can confirm this
(2014-01-28, 00:54)phate89 Wrote: I tried and actually manually forcing to dvdplayer do the trick.
Can you confirm what you mean by this? do you mean the Tak audio file plays ok when manually selecting DVDPlayer from the context menu?

If so you can get XBMC is automatically use DVDPlayer for only Tak files by adding a playercorefactory.xml which will need a contents something like

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <!-- These are compiled-in as re-ordering them would break scripts
    The following aliases may also be used:
      audiodefaultplayer, videodefaultplayer, videodefaultdvdplayer
    <player name="DVDPlayer" audio="true" video="true" />
    <player name="DVDPlayer" /> placeholder for MPlayer
    <player name="PAPlayer" audio="true" />
    -->
  </players>

<rules>  
    <!-- dvdplayer can play tak files -->
    <rule filetypes="tak"  player="DVDPlayer" />
</playercorefactory>

where the

rule filetypes="tak"

entry needs to be the same file extension entry you used under <musicextensions> to get it recognised.
Yes i mean that with dvdplayer works.
I also followed your advice and with your suggestion it works by default (you actually forgot to close the rules tag but i fixed it), thanks!

I still don't understand if it's wanted that xbmc doesn't switch automatically to DVDPlayer...
The wiki is old info, predates any support to this filetype and ffmpeg bumps etc, and if this rule is hardcoded in xbmc it will do as wiki says. If that will happen or not is another matter.

Who knows what other formats may be missing from the current ffmpeg version such as this.

but as far as your issue goes, it seems solved Wink So please mark thread as solved Smile
(2014-01-28, 12:47)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2014-01-28, 00:54)phate89 Wrote: I tried and actually manually forcing to dvdplayer do the trick.
Can you confirm what you mean by this? do you mean the Tak audio file plays ok when manually selecting DVDPlayer from the context menu?

If so you can get XBMC is automatically use DVDPlayer for only Tak files by adding a playercorefactory.xml which will need a contents something like

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <!-- These are compiled-in as re-ordering them would break scripts
    The following aliases may also be used:
      audiodefaultplayer, videodefaultplayer, videodefaultdvdplayer
    <player name="DVDPlayer" audio="true" video="true" />
    <player name="DVDPlayer" /> placeholder for MPlayer
    <player name="PAPlayer" audio="true" />
    -->
  </players>

<rules>  
    <!-- dvdplayer can play tak files -->
    <rule filetypes="tak"  player="DVDPlayer" />
</playercorefactory>

where the

rule filetypes="tak"

entry needs to be the same file extension entry you used under <musicextensions> to get it recognised.
sounds like a bug to me as paplayer should be able to play it. probably some audio hook missing
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-01-28, 13:37)Martijn Wrote: sounds like a bug to me as paplayer should be able to play it. probably some audio hook missing

What should I do? Open a trac?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tak decoding in gotham?0