Solved Archlinux - XBMC Crash on downloading fanart from TVDB
Since a few days I've been debugging an issue I have.
Not exactly sure when the issue started.

Whenever Xbmc downloads fanart from tvdb it crashes, and starts over.
see here a crashlog (I have many) crashlog
I'm starting xbmc with systemd, and 'systemctl status xbmc' shows:

Jan 29 15:10:31 xbmcpi xbmc-standalone[1700]: *** buffer overflow detected ***: /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin terminated
Jan 29 15:10:58 xbmcpi xbmc-standalone[1700]: /usr/bin/xbmc: line 143: 1842 Aborted (core dumped) "$LIBDIR/xbmc/xbmc.bin" $SAVED_ARGS
Jan 29 15:10:59 xbmcpi xbmc-standalone[1700]: Crash report available at /var/lib/xbmc/xbmc_crashlog-20140129_151058.log

This is happening when in Home i scroll right to TVShows, it immediately crashes. because picking up the thumbs from tvdb for episodes in the widgets.
If I navigate to my shows through Files, it crashes on downloading the first poster it is supposed to show.

I'm on archlinux and installed xbmc-rbp-git. also updated to latest firmware from today (although it happened with the previous one also)

I've setup a complete new installation with only arch and xbmc-rbp-git installed from scratch.
I've tried a swap file. -> no difference
The first time I encountered the problem was with art for "True Detective" which I then placed outside of the tvshow folder, and updated my library (from another xbmc)
This helped a bit, its not crashing anymore on True detective, but now on Intelligence Wink

I'm on mysql, but I've also tried it with a local library

I'm a bit lost right now.
Tonight (when home) I'll try to add a folder to my library containing 1 tvshow (an old one)

Anybody else seeing this? Or have any thoughts about this?
Some extra info...
Adding one older tv show does not make a difference.
I've tried a different pi, different powersupplies, different sd cards, running from usb stick after boot.
Nothing changes, it always crashes xbmc on processing images from tvdb.
I've put "127.0.0.1 thetvdb.com" in the hosts file, Now I can browse my tv shows.
It can't download images obviously.
Although it still crashes when it hits a tvshow that has images stored in its directory (e.g. "banner.jpg, poster.jpg")
so these are 'older' images... strangest thing though.. I do not have a problem downloading and processing images for movies.
Images from tmdb are processed ok, no crash, but I have to admit, I didn't scroll through the movies extensively.
edit:
oh, when this started I was using Turbo settings in config.txt, since the fresh install I left the config.txt as default. No overclock or special settings.
(2014-01-30, 09:33)kiekeboe Wrote: oh, when this started I was using Turbo settings in config.txt, since the fresh install I left the config.txt as default. No overclock or special settings.

And now, without any overclock, does your Pi still crash?

If your Pi is not stable when overclocking, and you are sure your power supply is supplying enough juice, have you increased voltages to the ARM and RAM? Increasing just the frequency is likely to result in an unstable overclock, you will need to increase over_voltage and over_voltage_sdram to maintain a stable overclock.

These are the overclock settings I use, note the increased voltages (specified in increments of 0.025V so +4 is equivalent to a 0.1V increase):
Code:
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=4
over_voltage_sdram=4

force_turbo=1

More detail here.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Yes, my pi still crashes, I even commented out the dynamic memory split arch uses as default.

When it started I had similar config as you posted.
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6

gpu_mem_512=316
gpu_mem_256=160
cma_lwm=16
cma_hwm=32
cma_offline_start=16

These above settings ran stable for about a year.
The other pi I mentioned has never been overclocked, and also crashes with default settings.
Since nobody seems to have the same problem, I've been focusing my attention to my specifics.
Assuming my pi and software are ok, I mean.. Default Arch install, just pacman -Syu, no special repositories,
the problem has to come from somewhere outside the pi?
With the 'block tvdb line' in /etc/hosts xbmc functions really well, files play, subtitles show, settings are ok
One of the images seems to cause the crash is:
http://thetvdb.com/banners/episodes/258823/4764045.jpg
I wget it on the pi, moved it to my laptop and opened it.
I see nothing wrong with it. I'm a bit lost in what else I could try...
(2014-01-30, 12:16)kiekeboe Wrote: Since nobody seems to have the same problem, I've been focusing my attention to my specifics.

I have the exact same problem with latest Gotham on archlinuxarm (xbmc-rbp-git).
It started happening with build 20140109 if I remember correctly (switched to Frodo since then xbmc-rbp).

I have to add that it's not just TV shows images that trigger this crash in my case it's just happens when attempting to cache random images from scrappers.

The issue seems to be caused by libopenmaxil.so that writes more that it should into a local buffer passed to it as far as I could debug the issue (Valgrind doesn't work on arm6).
Right before crashing last log message reads something like "OMX.broadcom.image_encode" so the issue could be caused by interaction between OMXImage and IL component on the Pi.

Hope I can come up with more details and maybe log a bug.
(2014-01-30, 13:49)Lucian Wrote: I have the exact same problem with latest Gotham on archlinuxarm (xbmc-rbp-git).
Hope I can come up with more details and maybe log a bug.
Thank you for registering and letting me know I am not alone.
Can you try with a standard image (like this openelec image http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1614783) ?

Need to know if it's an xbmc issue, or some problem with the libs or the way it is built under arch.

I've no idea where the arch xbmc comes from. i.e. where in git history the source comes from, and whether all the libs are built internally, or whether it links with (possibily incompatible) libs from the distribution.
@popcornmix,
When I get home, i will install the image you linked to.
In the meantime, here's a link to the pkgbuild from the archlinuxarm github.
This is how the xbmc-rbp-git is build, perhaps it's usefull.
https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILD...t/PKGBUILD
For xbmc-rbp-git packages github.com/xbmc/xbmc is used.
Libraries come with package raspberry-firmware that uses github.com/raspberrypi/firmware.
Changed the compile options, replacing '-fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=' with '-fno-stack-protector' and I have a usable Gotham build.
The mentioned options are enabled in arch PKGBUILD scripts.
(2014-02-01, 01:14)Lucian Wrote: Changed the compile options, replacing '-fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=' with '-fno-stack-protector' and I have a usable Gotham build.
Wow, ok so you solved it?
Whats the next step? Letting the package maintainer know?
Maybe you could post this on the archlinuxarm forum?
(2014-02-01, 09:47)kiekeboe Wrote:
(2014-02-01, 01:14)Lucian Wrote: Changed the compile options, replacing '-fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=' with '-fno-stack-protector' and I have a usable Gotham build.
Wow, ok so you solved it?
Whats the next step? Letting the package maintainer know?
Maybe you could post this on the archlinuxarm forum?

A few cross-builds later and some more testing, it seems my previous conclusion was wrong.
The issue stems from the use of -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 and NOT -fstack-protector.

Anyway, we'll take this to archlinux forum (http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6789).
ok, this is solved in the thread on the archlinux forum, a new build of xbmc-rbp-git solves the problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Archlinux - XBMC Crash on downloading fanart from TVDB0