Having a tad bit of trouble with MySQL on XBMC?
Hours apon hours later I finally figured out to sync my library and it's sweet. I rename or change info on one device, it syncs with the other. However, what I'm having trouble with and can't find on the Internet, is trying to actually play the content on a different device. All that shows up is: "This file is no longer available". I didn't change where it's located or anything. And from that I can still change info and such, and it'll sync but I can't play the content. I can do the UPNP thing to play my content, but that isn't synced or anything of the sort. Plus I have to go under files each time to access it. So just from the main menu and go into TV Shows and it goes to my TV Show list and such, and all the pretty information, but nothing plays. The UPNP thing has the data and pretty effects, but it's not in the actual database in the menu of XBMC, it's just accessing the information through the UPNP. I hope you get what I mean lol.

Anyway, is there anything I can do? The Shows are synced up whenever I change the data or whatever, but I can't watch anything, because it seems the video content itself is missing. Is there a way I can locate the files within something similar like the UPNP, but whenever I access the menu of TV Shows, it'll actually play the content, instead of going to the ugly side of UPNP each time, plus no syncs from that like MySQL does. Essentially each time I locate files from my server (main computer), on my Laptop, it gives me the info of the scraper I can do, but of course nothing updates at all.

Hope you can help!
Sigh... I hate it when I do this - I write up the issue on a forum, then I end of finding it a little while afterwards. Oh well.

What I did in order for it to work was: Files > Add Videos > Windows Network (SMB) >>> Then found the files. Which I did this on the main machine that has the content. Before I did: Files > Add Videos > File Folder >>> Which is usually how you do it if you didn't have MySQL and just were finding your files like you usually do. But from that it just gives the info from the scraper and not the files whatsoever. But in order to get everything that you should be getting you need to add the files by going through all of it in - Windows Network (SMB).

At least that's how I found it, I'm not really going to experiment with it since the scraper takes a good while re-doing everything.
Because you initially did this on the machine that had the media files, all of the filenames would have had a local path. On other machines, these files don't exist in the same location.

By browsing via SMB, you are using the networked location, which is available from all the other machines.

Well done on finding the answer by yourself Smile
At least mark the thread as solved Wink
Well now, I've seemed to run into a problem. That solution worked well at first, but then I added a New Hard Drive, and relocated all my videos to that drive, which is what I want. But the SMB doesn't work like that anymore. I did the thing where you relocated the Documents >> Video location to my new Drive, instead of it being on my OS Drive. But now the SMB doesn't work since I can't go to the drive whatsoever, since practically all it's trying to do is go to the User, which is on my OS drive.

Is there anyway around this with a new drive and such? I can't find any kind of answer whatsoever. Hopefully some of you can help out!
It probably because you need to share this new path via smb or update old path into new path in smb server portion.

In either case Im not familiar with the THING you did.
Does anyone know how to update SMB server? Is it through MySQL, or something else?
I've been doing some reading around the forums, and saw something: Are the actual XBMC people trying to get UPnP to act almost like what MySQL does? It's in Nightly build right? What are the things it can do so far? Is it able to continue on one device, and another? Is it able to have "watched" spread out between the devices it's hooked up to? Basing on the MySQL right now, and what XBMC is trying to do, what is superior as of right now?

Why I ask, is I've seen some things on the forums stating so, plus I read on a forum post that was posted months ago that UPnP is evolving to a point that it will hopefully be just as good as MySQL or better of what it can do on XBMC.

Thanks!
It will let you set up the library once and share watched status between all XBMC installs. It's not perfect yet, but I've been using it in place of MySQL for a while now and it does 90% of what I want it to do.
Ok cool, I'll have to check it out myself later and do that, because MySQL is neat and all, but I don't need it, and am glad to get rid of it. Hell, I might regardless if there is no solution to my problem. Anyway, hopefully the new UPnP is great, and hope it gets improved in the future so it thrives and no need for a complete separate program like MySQL.
Also interested in this, as it might solve the problems I have got upgrading all the devices I have got running in the house.. Is it written up in the wiki yet?
@Snowburden,
my Dos Centavos:
I have only tested this under Windows 7 (but GNU/Linux has a similar facility). I share the sources.xml across all devices (clients) and use Samba to share my media. I ONLY add new sources in the sources.xml file and scrap it accordingly (i.e as Movies or TV Shows; or Music; or Music Videos). Once I scrap it on one client, it is available in all others. Very simple and transparent...
<source>
<name>Multimedia Media Server #16 - MULTI-MEDIA Drive #22</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://mm-server16/mm-drive22/</path>
<allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
</source>

There are 1000s of ways to skin a cow; but this one works for me...
Well, I did the nightly build, and it's great and all, but not perfect to replace MySQL really. Because the nightly build you have to go through the files to get it to work, and it will play on both and you can return to the other and such. But the whole thing where when you go under TV Shows and Movies and everything shows like the MySQL is what I'm after. Well, form the above I stated I was having trouble doing the SMB Server thing and couldn't find the new hard drive, well I still can't find it. How can I update the SMB Server so it shows my new hard drive where the video content is at?

And @Jacintech.fire

I don't know what exactly you are referring to? the source thing you did, I don't get it? Please explain?

Sorry to be a pest and keep posting, but I really want to get to the bottom of this, because since I posted last I haven't been watching anything, because if I can't do it like I was suppose to, I won't bother doing it at all. Yeah, I'm that kind of person lol.
I'm assuming Windows here (as that's what I know, and you haven't said otherwise)

Assuming you had a hard drive in your "server" (which we'll call "server", which is C: and you've got a folder on there called "Videos" (C:\Videos) which you've shared as "Videos" - you would see in your sources.xml the following:

smb://server/Videos

If you have added a second hard drive, lets call this one D: and you've created a folder called "Videos" (D:\Videos). You will need to remove the share from the old folder (C:\Videos) and share the new folder (D:\Videos) as "Videos" - this will also appear to XBMC as:

smb://server/Videos

So - although you've physically moved the location on the server, as far as the network is concerned, this is the same share folder.

If you've shared your new folder as a different name, then you will need to tell XBMC what this new share is called.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Having a tad bit of trouble with MySQL on XBMC?0