• 51(current)
Bay Trail-D motherboards
Quote:I have read whole topic, and already ordered Q1900-ITX with 4GB RAM.
I will be using this as NAS and XBMC in one. I will be doing some tests
with Linux and Windows - platform is not really important for me.
As a NAS both will be running fine, as XBMC - I'm not sure which
system would be the best. A few points to take into account:

- there will be no tv headend.
- Optical output is not critical, but would be nice have it fully working.
- have a lots of tv movies, mostly in SD, however can convert them if
upscaling is bad (have to see it myself to judge)
- have old SSD 120GB as system drive.
- connected to Full HD 50 inches TV

Hi, quick update about my HTPC. I got motherboard yesterday, and very pleased with it.
Silent power supply 250W from old mini server, SSD and XBMCbuntu.
XBMC is ready in a few seconds after boot, it's not critical, as this will be NAS server.
Everything works great !

Someone in this thread posted Transformers sample to check upscaling, I couldn't see anything wrong playing this.

The only thing left is remote control , I have MCE USB receiver, but no matching remote.

HDMI pulse-eight is tempting solution ( my TV works great with Raspberry Pi through HDMI )

If anyone would like to perform some tests I can do it.
If you are looking for a remote for your MCE Receiver, have a look at some of the cheaper OneForAll models. Many of them have the Media Centre codes in them. CEC is great if your TV has enough buttons mapped, but not all do, and you can end up getting annoyed when you can't enable the function you want to (well that was my experience with a Sony TV and a Raspberry Pi which has CEC built in)

I don't know if your motherboard has integrated Bluetooth, or if you've added a combined WiFi bluetooth card (my Acer Chromebox has WiFi/BT built in), but if you do then the PS3 BD remote is a good fit. Nicely designed and with a good range of buttons that mean most functions you are likely to want are there if you get your head round the mapping. I'm really happy with mine.
(2014-12-14, 14:31)noggin Wrote: If you are looking for a remote for your MCE Receiver, have a look at some of the cheaper OneForAll models. Many of them have the Media Centre codes in them. CEC is great if your TV has enough buttons mapped, but not all do, and you can end up getting annoyed when you can't enable the function you want to (well that was my experience with a Sony TV and a Raspberry Pi which has CEC built in)

I don't know if your motherboard has integrated Bluetooth, or if you've added a combined WiFi bluetooth card (my Acer Chromebox has WiFi/BT built in), but if you do then the PS3 BD remote is a good fit. Nicely designed and with a good range of buttons that mean most functions you are likely to want are there if you get your head round the mapping. I'm really happy with mine.

Thanks for an advice. I found old remote kind of OneForAll , and it worked fine under Windows , checked it on virtual machine with the same image I use on server - worked straight out of the box, but ... didn't work on new motherboard. Went through a lot of tutorials, but found nothing helpful. I have a spare Bluetooth stick, so rather opt for PS3 BD one, or similar.
Hi.

Update for others in case of issues. I did my remote working other way. I install clean Lubuntu - remote worked straight out of the box. Unfortunatelly the one I have doesn't have a lot keys, therefore I used old Hauppauge one, with enough keys. I went through creating
custom Lircmap.xml, remote.xml and used irrecord to asssign new remote. I am more than happy now, as no new hardware is required.

The only things I had to install on Lubuntu was drivers for graphics ( to have hardware acceleration), and make XBMC running on startup.

Before enabling acceleration surprisingly CPU was enough capable to decode 30 Mbits BD image. This is the beast in terms of
performance. Glad I decided to buy this one.
I am sending back (to Germany) my 2nd Q1900-ITX which I've had nothing but trouble with. 1st didn't work at all, 2nd stopped outputting video over HDMI after a week or so of testing. I am sending it back for a refund. I am now 4 months in to my HTPC build with no progress.

Are there alternatives I should consider? I need PCIe for my TBS 6285, HDMI out and will use for htpc/nas/downloads and light home automation. Fanless is required. The SoC boards seem ideal but I am disappointed with the AS Rock. Will probably run Windows as Linux bas also been problematic with the TBS. I am reluctant to switch to a client-server solution but could be tempted if it helped.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.
(2014-12-17, 09:52)steford Wrote: I am sending back (to Germany) my 2nd Q1900-ITX which I've had nothing but trouble with. 1st didn't work at all, 2nd stopped outputting video over HDMI after a week or so of testing. I am sending it back for a refund. I am now 4 months in to my HTPC build with no progress.

Are there alternatives I should consider? I need PCIe for my TBS 6285, HDMI out and will use for htpc/nas/downloads and light home automation. Fanless is required. The SoC boards seem ideal but I am disappointed with the AS Rock. Will probably run Windows as Linux bas also been problematic with the TBS. I am reluctant to switch to a client-server solution but could be tempted if it helped.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

That's very sad .... I had issue with HDMI at the beginning as well. HDMI didn't always work - cable was not good enough, other one works all the time.

Maybe this is one is good enough (but more expensive) ? http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/J1900IC/
(2014-12-18, 13:52)miki1999 Wrote: That's very sad .... I had issue with HDMI at the beginning as well. HDMI didn't always work - cable was not good enough, other one works all the time.

Maybe this is one is good enough (but more expensive) ? http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/J1900IC/

Well it looks like it was the HDMI. Tried a shorter, newer one and it works fine now. Thanks.

Still having issues with OS though. Running Openelec with TBS drivers. Card detected fine but no network. After each reboot it's hit and miss whether the network starts up or not - I have never seen that on any OS ever! Did some set up and off I went for my tea. Came back and the remote refused to work. Rebooted and it's now only seeing 2 tuners of the 4. I have wasted so much time on this I'm thinking of going back to Argus/Win7 and running this as a server with an rPi frontend which I have working perfectly in the bedroom. Annoying but it seems like the only sure fire trouble free way.

EDIT: Finally ditched Linux and back to Win 7 with Argus (my preferred PVR backend). My only issue with the previous HTPC was XBMC losing focus which I hope to solve this time round. However I still have a problem - my MCE remote dongle, simply unplugged from the old box and plugged into this one isn't working. All drivers are in and updated - I have no issues in Device Manager. TBS card is running great and the machine is serving recordings to Kodi elsewhere.

Any help appreciated.
Hi
i have a questions regarding J1800 or J1900 cpu's

i want to buy a qnap ts-251 (or ts-253) wich have 13.2 xbmc

i want to know if this can play bluray 3d rip (mkv sbs or hsbs)

thanks
Hi guys,
I'm going to buy an Asrock Q2900-ITX for my htpc/nas (linux based).

Just few questions:
  • are there any problems with HD audio bitstream? My idea is to send the audio to my AVR via hdmi port.
  • do you think that the Celeron J2900 is capable to decode h265 video?

thanks
Bitstream audio yes, on linux
Hevc most likely only 720p
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-01-04, 00:25)fritsch Wrote: Bitstream audio yes, on linux
Hevc most likely only 720p

thanks for the fast answer
How cheap is the Q2900 Board in your Store?
| myHTPC |
(2015-01-04, 00:36)-DDD- Wrote: How cheap is the Q2900 Board in your Store?

98€ ( 117USD)
Isn't that a better Deal? http://geizhals.de/?cmp=1101422&cmp=940388
| myHTPC |
Yeah it is! real hsw graphics - can do 4K h264 @ 30fps, postprocessing, upscaling ...

But also most likely limited to 720p hevc and some minor bitrate 1080p hevc.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bay Trail-D motherboards8