Help needed with custom video nodes (Genre in particular)
I'm trying to set up two home menu Movies buttons that work just like the current Movies button, but each shows a different subset of movies. One button called "My Movies", one button called "Your Movies".

I have two video movie sources added to the library as movies - \Videos\My Movies\... and \Videos\Your Movies\.

On Windows 7 64 bit, Using a Frodo RC3 build from Jan 3, 2013. Transparency skin.

I copied C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\library contents to D:\Users\<me>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\library

I created userdata\library\video\movies\mymovies.xml to look as follows:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<node order="11" type="filter">
  <label>My Movies</label>
  <icon>DefaultMovieTitle.png</icon>
  <content>movies</content>
  <match>all</match>
  <rule field="path" operator="contains">
        <value>My Movies</value>
  </rule>
  <order direction="ascending">sorttitle</order>
</node>

I modified skin.transparency\720p\Includes_Home.xml - replacing
ActivateWindow(Videos,movietitles,return)
with
ActivateWindow(Videos,library://video/movies/mymovies.xml,return)

I then created userdata\library\video\movies\yourmovies.xml basically the same way, changing the rule to include only movies with "Your Movies" in the path.

I added an ActivateWindow call to those movies on another home button - ActivateWindow(Videos,library://video/movies/yourmovies.xml,return)

So far - everything works. I have one button on the home screen that, when I click on it, it only shows me a list of the movies in the \Videos\My Movies\ directory, and another button on the home screen that, when I click on it, it only shows me a list of movies in the \Videos\Your Movies directory.

So ... Great - thank you for the cool feature you added to allow this.

Now for the problem. I want to have the submenus of those buttons also be restricted to only the movies in the corresponding directory.
Each of the two home menu buttons ("My Movies", and "Your Movies") have submenus for Library, Genres, Years, Actors, Directors, Studios, and Recently Added.

I would like to set up the button for "My Movies->Genres" to only show me genres associated with the movies under \Videos\My Movies, and if I pick a genre, it will only show me movies of that genre that exist under \Videos\My Movies. Similar for "My Movies\Recently Added", and same functions for the submenus under "Your Movies".

I can not figure out how to create a Genre node that filters results to a specific path. It looks to me that it is not going to be possible, but can anyone who has worked on this code think of a way to do it?

If that is possible, will "Recently Added" also work?

Thanks again for all of this great stuff.
This is a great post! I've been fooling around with nodes for a bit your post helped me get this working. My ultimate goal, which I can imagine many others will want to do, is define a nice clean way to separate out the Kid Movies from my main library, but still have an easy way for the wife/kids to access just the kid movies.

I was hoping there would be a way to do this that didn't involve customizing the skin, so I wouldn't have to worry about losing the settings if I decide to switch skins.
(2013-01-18, 01:11)sfontes Wrote: I can not figure out how to create a Genre node that filters results to a specific path. It looks to me that it is not going to be possible, but can anyone who has worked on this code think of a way to do it?

If that is possible, will "Recently Added" also work?

I'd like to be able to filter the genre and artists nodes too, haven't figured out what that would take yet. For Recently Added, I just made a duplicate of the existing node and modified it to filter the results based on path (similar to your code snippet). So I now have Recently Added for Movies, Documentaries, Music Videos, Stand Up, etc.
I've been struggling with getting custom video nodes to work as well. The documentation doesn't give a lot of detail on what is valid in these xml files. It seems the sub menu items are calling built in functions that cannot be customized. I know the developers are donating their time to this project for nothing, but it sure would be nice if somebody out there that knows how this stuff works would write something up to help those of us who are clueless. :-)

Jim

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help needed with custom video nodes (Genre in particular)0