How to locate my Routers USB Storage in XBMC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dneill99 Offline
Hi guys,

I'm a complete novice so I apologies is the answer is something simple I can't figure out.

I have plugged my external USB drive that contains all my movies directly into my Router (USB).

From any PC in my house (and even my Android Gbox) I can see and play the files doing //IPaddress/foldername in the Run command.

The next step I want to set up XMBC to see this folder share, but under library folder path settings I can't figure out what option to select and how I would type the path.
find quote
Prof Yaffle Offline
Donor
Add a source, and then it's a matter of knowing (or guessing) what format the source is available in. You broadly have three choices:

1. UPnP - that broadcasts an index of files rather than a path, though.
2. SMB - this is the Windows file system
3. NFS - this is the Linux way

My guess - because it's the easiest if not the best, and is thus pretty universal - would be SMB. Select that, and you should see your router's name appear in the resulting list; select that, and the folder name will appear. You can now add that (or any sub-directories) as a source.
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Wiki Guy
Videos -> Files -> Add videos -> Browse -> SMB -> find your SMB share -> Okay

Full disclosure: I work for WeTek. However, this is my personal account, and my words and opinion are my own.

You can make easy links to the Kodi Wiki Manual using double brackets around common Kodi words: [[debug log]] = debug log (wiki), [[Video library]] = Video library (wiki), [[SMB]] = SMB (wiki) , [[userdata]] = userdata (wiki), etc
find quote