• 35(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
(2014-05-19, 16:07)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-19, 15:08)McButton Wrote: I don't think it's the RAM. Can anyone else verify? I also have stick RAM only. If the freezing would end, this would be perfect.

(2014-05-19, 16:02)Veronica Wrote: I also have the 2gb ram the box came with and I have the freezing issue, don't have other ram stick to test eather

everyone who is having freezing issues, please disable hardware acceleration for video playback and see if that fixes the issue. If so, then we have an issue with the Intel video driver and/or the VAAPI acceleration. It's highly doubtful this is an OpenELEC (or ChromeBox-specific) issue

edit: also see if the problem persists in OpenELEC 4.0.2

On 4.0.2 and coreboot, getting some crashes in menus and plugins now, frequently. Boot time is extremely fast, haven't had a chance to try an extended video test yet. Crash exits to a "_" in upper right corner of screen with no available option except to hard reboot. It is not easily replicated but has happened 3 times in under 15 minutes. I might roll back to 4.0.1 and see if that fixes it.

(2014-05-19, 15:08)McButton Wrote: I don't think it's the RAM. Can anyone else verify? I also have stick RAM only. If the freezing would end, this would be perfect.

4GB here, it is definitely not a ram issue.
(2014-05-19, 22:08)jsp1 Wrote: On 4.0.2 and coreboot, getting some crashes in menus and plugins now, frequently. Boot time is extremely fast, haven't had a chance to try an extended video test yet. Crash exits to a "_" in upper right corner of screen with no available option except to hard reboot. It is not easily replicated but has happened 3 times in under 15 minutes. I might roll back to 4.0.1 and see if that fixes it.

I've been unable to replicate the freezing/crashing you're describing. Can you back up your config (use OE tool) and do a fresh install of 4.0.2 via the official OE download? I've had movies streaming all day, background, navigating menus, etc. Not a hitch.
2GB here and no freezing or crashing on OpenELEC or on Arch. I was watching The Two Towers Extended
yesterday and Everything played fine.
(2014-05-19, 22:36)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-19, 22:08)jsp1 Wrote: On 4.0.2 and coreboot, getting some crashes in menus and plugins now, frequently. Boot time is extremely fast, haven't had a chance to try an extended video test yet. Crash exits to a "_" in upper right corner of screen with no available option except to hard reboot. It is not easily replicated but has happened 3 times in under 15 minutes. I might roll back to 4.0.1 and see if that fixes it.

I've been unable to replicate the freezing/crashing you're describing. Can you back up your config (use OE tool) and do a fresh install of 4.0.2 via the official OE download? I've had movies streaming all day, background, navigating menus, etc. Not a hitch.

I'll give it a shot. I upgraded from the manual upgrade within OE after installing coreboot. I'll report back if a fresh install helps.
(2014-05-19, 22:08)jsp1 Wrote:
(2014-05-19, 16:07)Matt Devo Wrote:

(2014-05-19, 16:02)Veronica Wrote: I also have the 2gb ram the box came with and I have the freezing issue, don't have other ram stick to test eather

everyone who is having freezing issues, please disable hardware acceleration for video playback and see if that fixes the issue. If so, then we have an issue with the Intel video driver and/or the VAAPI acceleration. It's highly doubtful this is an OpenELEC (or ChromeBox-specific) issue

edit: also see if the problem persists in OpenELEC 4.0.2

On 4.0.2 and coreboot, getting some crashes in menus and plugins now, frequently. Boot time is extremely fast, haven't had a chance to try an extended video test yet. Crash exits to a "_" in upper right corner of screen with no available option except to hard reboot. It is not easily replicated but has happened 3 times in under 15 minutes. I might roll back to 4.0.1 and see if that fixes it.

Okay, thanks, at least we now know it's not a RAM issue. 2 GB should be more than enough to run XBMC without problems.

Quite a mystery, this one.
I see a lot of people posting that it is appropriate to purchase 1.35V RAM. The markings on the RAM slot in my unit have 1.5V printed on them. Does this affect what voltage RAM people should purchase for the upgrade?
Matt, all versions of OE freeze. Will test the settings for a while. It's so tough to catch...

.... Froze again. Just turned it to hardware acc but disabled everything. If it still does it, I'll try software only.
(2014-05-20, 03:07)McButton Wrote: Matt, all versions of OE freeze. Will test the settings for a while. It's so tough to catch...

.... Froze again. Just turned it to hardware acc but disabled everything. If it still does it, I'll try software only.

Thanks for testing, if it even does that In software can you get a log.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-05-19, 05:50)cheaterguy Wrote:
(2014-05-19, 04:23)speedbal Wrote: For those curious about how OpenELEC runs on the Asus Chromebox M004U (179$ version), Here is a short youtube video. Should give you an idea of what the system is capable of...

This includes a new SeaBIOS/Coreboot tweak from Matt. Boot time is extremely fast.

speedbal

Wow. I had no idea it was that fast. I was on the fence of buying one but I am definitely getting one for sure. It looks like a huge step up from my ATV2. Have you had any freezing issues that some people are reporting?

Nope.... i haven't had any issues. I bought 2 of them to replace aging boxes i have around the house. I will put it through its pacing this weekend on my big screen (102" 1080p projector is man cave) and report back. That video setup is a bedroom tv (running 720p).
How are we all streaming vids when it freezes? Mine are attached hard drives. Any freezers using a NAS?
Mine streams everything from my all in one hp desktop pc via Ethernet cable. I'm in the process of setting up a NAS. The thing is it even freezes while no video Is being played, just navigating around thru the menus or movies lists
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-05-19, 12:27)ant_thomas Wrote:
(2014-05-19, 04:23)speedbal Wrote: For those curious about how OpenELEC runs on the Asus Chromebox M004U (179$ version), Here is a short youtube video. Should give you an idea of what the system is capable of...

This includes a new SeaBIOS/Coreboot tweak from Matt. Boot time is extremely fast.

speedbal

What deinterlacing settings are you using for the LiveTV?
Is it completely smooth at 25/50fps with LiveTV content?

It is smooth to my eyes... but I am not not as picky as others. As far as de-interlace settings: On, Bob, Auto. I use deinterlace all the time since I don't like it trying to figure out if it should use them or not.

(2014-05-19, 19:23)atv420 Wrote:

speedbal

-Speedbal, Thanks for the quick video, what are you using for Live TV?

Thanks,
Nimesh

LiveTV is a Mythubuntu install i have in another room using a HDHomerun Prime. Very simple to setup if you have the capacity/hardware. (I am using my unraid setup for videos and a separate server for mythunbuntu - I plan to combine soon in a virtual server).

For the curious...websites you can research this at: MythTV and MythTV PVR XBMC Wiki
Fresh install of 4.0.2, still crashed. I can ctrl-alt-del for reboot on these crashes...but that is all. On the other hand I switched my skin from Amber to a lightweight appletv like skin (name escapes me at the moment) and the problem seems to have subsided. I also switched my remote from keyboard presses to regular remote although this hasn't mattered in the past. If I see further crashing or freezing I will report back.

Another note: Anyone else getting 30fps on the menu screen? My cpu is throttled down to 800mhz and low usage but getting only 30fps or so for some reason.
(2014-05-20, 04:35)jsp1 Wrote: Fresh install of 4.0.2, still crashed. I can ctrl-alt-del for reboot on these crashes...but that is all. On the other hand I switched my skin from Amber to a lightweight appletv like skin (name escapes me at the moment) and the problem seems to have subsided. I also switched my remote from keyboard presses to regular remote although this hasn't mattered in the past. If I see further crashing or freezing I will report back.

Another note: Anyone else getting 30fps on the menu screen? My cpu is throttled down to 800mhz and low usage but getting only 30fps or so for some reason.

try confluence, I haven't had any issues with it, but haven't tried other skins.

set the video sync to enabled on playback and your FPS will be around 100 or so in the GUI
I just had another freeze while streaming a video. Was able to pull my journalctl... not sure if this helps: http://pastebin.com/nLFqw8wF
  • 35(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8