• 60(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
If you're just running OpenElec, the extra RAM basically won't do anything. Everyone thinks it will magically boost performance, but it simply doesn't need it. Not sure if Chrome OS could make use of it? Windows of course is a RAM hog. :-)
2GB is definitely plenty for OpenELEC
Agreed.
Waste of Money all this extra storage and RAM just to stream.

As an example OpenELEC on my Raspberry Pi runs well with 512MB of RAM and an 8GB MicroSD card. Kodi reports 240Mb of RAM free. OpenELEC has a very low system footprint.

Fine then, I will buy you all beers with this money burning a hole in my pocket!

Thanks again for the help.
Ha Ha Ha. Wink

With Summer in Perth and temps up to 45 Degrees C / 113 F - in the shade lots of cold beer needed !!
Cool

Sorry I know a bit off-topic and maybe it is not Chromebox specific but does this build that Matt has created with OpenELEC have support for OpenVPN or SOCK5 connections... ideally would like to send to a SOCKS5 proxy (with authentication) so don't have a huge overhead that I would forsee with VPN. Can it be added by the user or into the build? That is can you add packages manually? I came across a program called Redsocks that can encapsulate TCP and UDP traffic and send over to a SOCKS5 server.
The ChromeBox no longer uses a special OE build, it uses the mainline 'Generic x86_64' builds now.

unsure about your VPN/SOCKS5 question, that's one for the OE devs. OE does have some limited VPN support currently but not sure that's going to stay in future builds
(2014-09-16, 06:31)odinb Wrote: I seem to have a problem with suspend/resume. 3 times out of 4, the network will not work after resuming, and sometimes the whole OS just hangs. powercycling via the button is the only option.

Running openelec as standalone on mine.

Anyone else seen this, or know of a fix?

I'm having a similar issue with resuming from suspend.
Suspend works; resume from Lenovo mini keyboard works; WiFi network goes dark; if I'm VERY patient or click thru the settings a bit, it will finally restore network...takes about 3 min or so. Reboot fixes it immediately.

My setup is an ASUS Chromebox M004U running OpenELEC standalone v5.0 and Helix (v14). Also using the Black Glass Nova skin.

I'm able to reproduce the problem every time if suspended more than about 5-10 seconds.
...also should mention that I have not yet tested this on a hard-wired connection due to the location, but judging from the quoted post I expect similar results
that's not a problem I can replicate here with OE 5.0.0 and the current standalone firmware (20150107), either on a wired or wireless connection
hmmm...seems to be quite consistent on mine. I'll just leave it runnnng and dimmed for now; wife gets annoyed when it suspends and the network hangs. Setting it to static from DHCP seemed to help, but if I let it sit for any length of time it takes a while to reconnect. Any ideas are appreciated
(2014-06-10, 15:56)deathtical Wrote:
(2014-06-05, 04:08)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-04, 21:19)deathtical Wrote: This is a dual boot with OpenELEC. I used the directions from the wiki to do it. The weird thing is, that switching between Chrome and OE worked for a few days and then it just started doing this. OE still works fine but still cannot get into Chrome. As mentioned before, it started happening prior to the release of OE 4.0.1 which I am currently running. Thanks

back up your OE/XBMC settings using the OE settings add-on, copy to USB, factory reset, reload OE dual boot, restore settings.

Well... seems to have worked. The only thing I would recommend would be a few more delay options. Right now there is a 1 sec and 30 sec option and it would be nice to have a 10 or 15 sec option. Just something in the middle. Also, it would be kinda nice if an option could be added to OpenELEC/XBMC to reboot to Chrome. Since the box defaults to booting to OpenELEC such an option isn't need to go from Chrome to OpenELEC. But an option in the restart menu to reboot XBMC and have it automatically select Chrome on boot would be cool. I'm not a Linux guy or a programmer so I don't know what is involved with creating such an option but considering what you guys have done so far I imagine this would be a cake walk for you guys. Thanks again for the help and I love this project.

I'll open this again. Maybe this is a dumb question but how do you copy the back-up to USB? I'm new to this with chrombox and dualboot. I actually got it installed and ready with OE/Kodi. And I tried now for the first time to boot into chrome and got the same error as above. So i need to be a quick learner now.
Just got CHROMEBOX-M118U. Installed Openelec with Coreboot. Everything is running fine, but fan noise is quite loud. I can hear it clearly from 3m. Temperatures rise over 60 when watching live-tv. It seems that the fan has only two modes, very quiet and quite noisy. How many modes there really are? I didn´t expect this machine to be noisy when just watching TV. Skin is Confluence, so it shouldn´t be too heavy either.
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
(2015-06-04, 19:43)BoxFreak Wrote: Just got CHROMEBOX-M118U. Installed Openelec with Coreboot. Everything is running fine, but fan noise is quite loud. I can hear it clearly from 3m. Temperatures rise over 60 when watching live-tv. It seems that the fan has only two modes, very quiet and quite noisy. How many modes there really are? I didn´t expect this machine to be noisy when just watching TV. Skin is Confluence, so it shouldn´t be too heavy either.

there are 4 fans speeds (plus off) depending on temperature range. ~60C during video playback is normal, and should keep it at fan speed 2 (medium), which is ~2800rpm. Speed 3 (high) kicks in at 67C. Every now and then the fan gets stuck at too high a speed and a reboot fixes it.
(2015-06-04, 19:47)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-04, 19:43)BoxFreak Wrote: Just got CHROMEBOX-M118U. Installed Openelec with Coreboot. Everything is running fine, but fan noise is quite loud. I can hear it clearly from 3m. Temperatures rise over 60 when watching live-tv. It seems that the fan has only two modes, very quiet and quite noisy. How many modes there really are? I didn´t expect this machine to be noisy when just watching TV. Skin is Confluence, so it shouldn´t be too heavy either.

there are 4 fans speeds (plus off) depending on temperature range. ~60C during video playback is normal, and should keep it at fan speed 2 (medium), which is ~2800rpm. Speed 3 (high) kicks in at 67C. Every now and then the fan gets stuck at too high a speed and a reboot fixes it.

OK. It seems that only 2min of watching live TV (SD) rises temp to 65, and soon after that fan speed gets loud. Don´t remember seeing temp to go to 67 though... Also watching other SD-content causes same behaviour. When watching HD-video, temps are around 53-54. I tried to disable advanced scalers (put the value for scaling to 100%), but it didn´t help at all.

Reboot silences the fan, but noise starts soon again after watching SD-content. Confused
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
What are your settings for deinterlacing etc?
  • 60(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8