• 2(current)
Testers needed for new OSX/iOS audio code
I have audio on a macbook white mid 2007 osx 10.7.5
Tested built-in speakers and an external amplifier through analog headphones out.
and because I am lazy i unplugged and plugged the cable while playing without any issue.
Not only is it all working great on my 2009 MBP, but it apparently fixed nav sounds that I didn't notice were not working in nightly builds. (I thought they were just turned off, but apparently not. This seems to have been an issue with my guisettings.xml file, as I can't replicate it with normal nightlies using a totally fresh install, but ether way it is now working 100% with this test build.)

2005 15 inch MacBook Pro
Mac OS X 10.8.5
using internal laptop speakers
Nav sounds, videos, music, all work great
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the hard work you put into XBMC, it's very much appreciated!

I'm on a Mac Mini (mid 2011) with Mavericks 10.9.1 connected via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-NR818 which is in turn connected via HDMI to my Samsung TV.

I also have a MacBook Air 13-Inch (mid 2012) with Mavericks 10.9.1.

This build works fine on both setups.

Regards,
Andrew
Prior to getting my Mac Mini for my TV/HTS, I used to use PS3 Media Center to get Video to my TV and would encounter a crap ton (technical term) of subtitle and audio problems. Many of which I submitted bugs & patches for, so I have a good bit of testing material to work with (new and old).

Before I begin, can I get some information on the encoders you guys use on OS X? I really just need names and version numbers. This way I can narrow down any issues I encounter in the tests prior to submitting any.
Are the changes you want us to test being included in the nightly builds or is this test build being made from a different branch? I've been running the Gotham nightlies for some time and it's all working very well, the only issues I have are an unusual crash when the Android Yatse XBMC remote requests info from the json-rpc interface (but only occasionally), and the fact that live HDTV fails to initialise the vda-h264 codec and instead falls back to ff-h264.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for the above info, I'm not quite sure where to post about those issues since I'm not running a 'formal' release Smile
Played a couple of movies/series/3d content, all fine with headset, builtin speakers (macbook pro 2013 retina 15 inch/gpu gt750m)
(2014-02-08, 18:06)XenoPhex Wrote: Prior to getting my Mac Mini for my TV/HTS, I used to use PS3 Media Center to get Video to my TV and would encounter a crap ton (technical term) of subtitle and audio problems. Many of which I submitted bugs & patches for, so I have a good bit of testing material to work with (new and old).

Before I begin, can I get some information on the encoders you guys use on OS X? I really just need names and version numbers. This way I can narrow down any issues I encounter in the tests prior to submitting any.

The exact encoder for the video/audio files really shouldn't matter for these test. If you are looking for sample files to help narrow down issues then I would recommend these: http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/

(2014-02-10, 00:36)Thecko Wrote: Are the changes you want us to test being included in the nightly builds or is this test build being made from a different branch? I've been running the Gotham nightlies for some time and it's all working very well, the only issues I have are an unusual crash when the Android Yatse XBMC remote requests info from the json-rpc interface (but only occasionally), and the fact that live HDTV fails to initialise the vda-h264 codec and instead falls back to ff-h264.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for the above info, I'm not quite sure where to post about those issues since I'm not running a 'formal' release Smile

It is the specific build in the first post, not in the normal nightlies. This is only for audio testing (which includes audio in video files), and anything that is likely to be related to audio output.
(2014-02-10, 07:00)Ned Scott Wrote: It is the specific build in the first post, not in the normal nightlies. This is only for audio testing (which includes audio in video files), and anything that is likely to be related to audio output.

Ok, I'll give the build in the first post a test this evening Smile
It would seem that PCM playback can break the passthrough via HDMI and XBMC needs to be restarted. Debug logs will follow later if i can catch it.
It seems that i've somehow rendered audio output silent. No passthrough, no stereo audio either, only "playback failed" for music and video playback starts without audio.

If i nuke guisettings.xml and start fresh everything works, but as far as i can see the audio related settings are the same, only the passthrough is disabled by default.

Debug log while trying to play a video: http://pastebin.com/0JaZghWp
Debug log while trying to play music: http://pastebin.com/kRYy2GMZ
Guisettings.xml: http://pastebin.com/XmNjHwjP

If the same userdata is copied to a Macbook everything is fine, but i guess that's expected since it seems to autodetect and overwrite the audio settings.
Hi,

I don't know how your build (linked on the OP) compares to the current nightly, but I can say that your audio works better Smile

Tested on Mac Mini (10.8.5) with i5 @ 2.3GHz against your XBMC 13.0-ALPHA12 git 20140206-9e4f8c6 build.

Mac Mini (HDMI) -> Onkyo Receiver (HDMI) -> LG HDTV

I was actually expecting to send a log as I tried this version after having issues with the nightly. Turns out this version doesn't have the same issues.

For reference - the problems I was experiencing were with MP3 audio only. Anything that was AAC worked fine. With MP3 the audio would be decoded (I could see the visualizer bouncing around) but no output from XBMC. This is not an issue with your build.

If you'd still like logs (either from nightly or this version) please PM me.

Thanks
Doug

edit: Forgot to mention that I tried: music (MP3/AAC), video with AC3, video with AAC, LiveTV (Myth) with AC3 - all worked fine.
Thanks for testing - this will be merged shortly Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2014-02-17, 19:51)SpaceMonkey Wrote: It seems that i've somehow rendered audio output silent. No passthrough, no stereo audio either, only "playback failed" for music and video playback starts without audio.

Code:
CWinSystemOSX::CheckDisplayChanging:OnLostDevice

This indicates that you switched off your receiver or your TV or screen or whatever - it definitly vanished (and removed audio aswell) and didn't reappear. Any idea what happens there? (anything going to standby or so?)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-02-18, 14:51)Memphiz Wrote:
(2014-02-17, 19:51)SpaceMonkey Wrote: It seems that i've somehow rendered audio output silent. No passthrough, no stereo audio either, only "playback failed" for music and video playback starts without audio.

Code:
CWinSystemOSX::CheckDisplayChanging:OnLostDevice

This indicates that you switched off your receiver or your TV or screen or whatever - it definitly vanished (and removed audio aswell) and didn't reappear. Any idea what happens there? (anything going to standby or so?)

Mac is set to sleep after 15 minutes of in activity, receiver after 30 minutes i think so that it possible. But even after rebooting and powering everything off and back on it did not work.
Ok i think i found the problem (its nothing you do wrong it is a bug). For now just deactivate the refresh rate adaption in system->video->playback - this will fix your problem. This will be fixed when we merge the new engine.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testers needed for new OSX/iOS audio code1