How to create add-on that auto updates xbmc userdata files
What setting isn't being saved?
(2014-11-21, 20:34)nickr Wrote: What more are you wanting?

Hi again, sorry for late reply, not had a chance to get on forum for a few days. Basically the code you sent me, thanks for sending that, I have no idea how to use that code to get it to execute before XBMC starts.

You mentioned AutoExec.Py starts after XBMC hence thanks for saving me time in try to input the code in there. Basically I want to be able to copy guisettings.xml before XBMC starts regardless of Android, Mac,PC etc if possible. Thanks a lot.

(2014-11-22, 05:12)Ned Scott Wrote: What setting isn't being saved?

Hi Ned,

Thanks for your message. Basically on XBMC Gotham I am trying to find a way of automatically copying the correct Guisettings.xml in to Userdata before it starts. In Gotham now and then when it crashes it reverts Guisettings.xml in to default ones. I know I can use back up tools or whole folder to achieve this but I am trying to automate the task.

I read somewhere if I copy all the Guisettings.xml in to Advancedsettings.xml then the advancedsettings.xml take precedence over the Guisettings.xml but that didn't work either Sad
Even if it crashes, that shouldn't cause it to go back to defaults unless something else is clearing out your settings. I don't know what would do that, but I would be more worried about that problem. That shouldn't happen.
I have been trying to resolve this problem on and off for over 3 months now, for a while I gave up but then I have decided to try one more time.

Believe me when I tell you I have tried just about everything I can think of, such as install Gotham fresh and setting up my own collection of movies with the movie information and covers and favourite short cuts etc.

The problems doesn't happen as much on Apple Mac (exact same set up, but does happen sometimes), tends to happen more on Ouya and the PC server sometimes. They are both good spec and fully capable of running XBMC well.

I never had any issues with Frodo with shortcuts and settings disappearing after a crash. This intermittent problem has started since I moved over to Gotham. I have tried an upgrade and a complete fresh install on all the formats mentioned.

When I have done searches on Google many people have had issues with XBMC Gotham reverting back to a standard Guisettings.xml file after a crash.

Two of my friends using XBMC Gotham have had this issue as well, sometimes you are watching something, xbmc does a random crash and then the default guisettings.xml are written and you lose yours.

For the time being I keep backups of my xbmc config on a USB pen drive but I need to try and just load the correct Guisettings.xml before XBMC starts on my PC server, Ouya and Mac if possible.

Can script given kindly by NickR be used to achieve this? If yes how do I execute this code or script before XBMC starts regardless of PC, Mac, Ouya?

Thanks once again.
Clearly you don't need to do this every time xbmc starts. So when you have these mysterious crashes which magically re-write guisettings, why not just transfer a backed up guisettings.xml from your server, or some master computer at the time. Or keep a guisettings.xml.backup alongside guisettings.xml and just restore that backup when something goes wrong.

Also you will need a backup guisettings for each platform, as stuff like audio device names are different on all those platforms.

Amyway I have given you a script for linux (and probably OSX which is unix anyway), I don't know how to script on windows or android. You'll have to learn that yourself, I am not doing it for you.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-24, 21:03)nickr Wrote: Clearly you don't need to do this every time xbmc starts. So when you have these mysterious crashes which magically re-write guisettings, why not just transfer a backed up guisettings.xml from your server, or some master computer at the time. Or keep a guisettings.xml.backup alongside guisettings.xml and just restore that backup when something goes wrong.

Also you will need a backup guisettings for each platform, as stuff like audio device names are different on all those platforms.

Amyway I have given you a script for linux (and probably OSX which is unix anyway), I don't know how to script on windows or android. You'll have to learn that yourself, I am not doing it for you.

Hiya again, hope you are well, thanks for taking the time out to reply. It doesn't have to be every time starts, however since I am trying to automate the process it would be nice if once I have my correct guisettings.xml saved somewhere and xbmc picks up correct one every time it starts.

It is as much a mystery to me as it is to you. I have already been doing what you suggested either creating a duplicate of my guisettings.xml to guisettingsbkup.xml or something similar, I also back up my libraries now and then.

I really appreciate you giving me the script and of course I don't expect or would ask you to write me a script for windows or android. I just needed advice on how to get the script to run. I can just keep doing things manually for the time being. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to create add-on that auto updates xbmc userdata files0