Win Noob asks for help with HTPC configuration
Question 
I see that I should have found this forum and studied before leaping into HTPC and XBMC. I have a Synology NAS that currently serves .MKV movies ripped from my DVDs and BluRays via hardwire to a Boxee Box and to a 60” 1080p plasma and audio system. That has worked well.

From the too little I read, I decided it would be better to build a dedicated HTPC and use XBMC. I did not do enough research before building the system and/or have missed some configuration options.
The HTPC is configured as below:

1. Intel i3-4130T
2. ASUS GRYPHON Z87 DDR31600 LGA 1150 Motherboard
(INTEGRATED GRAPHICS: Dependent on installed CPU)
3. Kingston KHX1333C9D3B1/4G (2 - 4GB Memory Modules - total 8GB)
4. Silverstone GD0SB-USB3.0 Computer Case
5. SeaSonic SSR-360GP Power Supply
6. Corsair SSD 240GB Force GS Solid State Drive
7. LG WH16NS40 16X Combo Blu-ray Writer
8. Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I currently have the system up and running with a small Samsung LCD display connected to the Mother Board’s HDMI port. I tested one of the BluRay movie MKVs via the VLC media player and the quality is poor. As a test, I connected to the plasma display and also saw poor quality. I have not yet installed or used XBMC. This HTPC will probably not be used for games or much of anything but watching video from various sources.

I selected the ASUS GRYPHON Z87 Motherboard because it has 4K video output capability, and because I’m building something new that should last a while, I wanted to be able to support 4K sometime in the future. I did NOT notice that the Asus motherboard specifications state, “INTEGRATED GRAPHICS: Dependent on installed CPU.” The Intel i3 4130T may be the problem with insufficient performance.

If the i3 processor is likely the problem, would it be better to buy a more powerful processor or to purchase a suitable graphics card? Recommendations on what would be suitable will be very welcome.

Maybe I have missed some other setup option.
Nah, the integrated GPU in that i3 should be fine. Video playback is really easy on the hardware these days, and even the most basic options should do a good job.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the poor quality? Resolution? Colors? Contrast?
(2014-02-09, 03:43)Ned Scott Wrote: Nah, the integrated GPU in that i3 should be fine. Video playback is really easy on the hardware these days, and even the most basic options should do a good job.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the poor quality? Resolution? Colors? Contrast?
Thanks Ned,

Your response is greatly appreciated.

I will try and figure a way to capture images that will demonstrate the quality.

I would say that there are skipped frames (it seems choppy) and there are definite artifacts, like small + signs, like halos. The resolution definitely is lower than what I have seen before.

I am very novice at this, so any advice on how to capture the difference or document the problems will be welcome.

It is comforting to know that the hardware is probably OK, because this was a major investment for me to get wrong.

Mike
You have a very capable HD4400 Intel iGPU. You need to update the latest Intel driver from here- Automatically identify and find drivers and make sure that all Windows updates are up to date too...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-02-09, 07:29)bluray Wrote: You have a very capable HD4400 Intel iGPU. You need to update the latest Intel driver from here- Automatically identify and find drivers and make sure that all Windows updates are up to date too...

no doubt, I am only using an intel e6xxx series chip can't remember which one right now and a asus 5870 gpu with 4gigs ram on a asus p5qse/r 775 board. Running of course xbmc helps, but it will play fine anything with vlc also with no problems. Only using the dual core cause my quad died. So yes barring faulty equipment it has to be the above cause my not exactly under powered system does great!!
Hope you get it figured out
Can't live without my movies!
sorry i am not trying to steal your post bluray, just real;ized that just was agreeing with you

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob asks for help with HTPC configuration0