no sound since latest reboot
Just now i rebooted my XBMC system. I had sound on the navigation bar and playing video streams earlier today. However, since rebooting this evening, i no longer get any sound. I am assuming an update caused my audio settings to get borked, but i am not sure how to completely resolve the issue.

I am running XBMC 13.0 - Alpha 12.

I am connected via an old shuttle machine, which worked fine just hours ago. It is connected via an optical cable - and i have noticed since the reboot the audio signal is not being pushed through from the computer (as if the output is disabled). In the past, i have had to go into a mixer alsamixer and enable/disable different things to get this to work. However, in audio output settings, i see only 2 available options - both PulseAudio analog options.

1. Default, Default Output Device (PULSEAUDIO)
2. Build-int Audio Analog Stereo - Analog Output (PULSEAUDIO)

In the past - haven't check this setting in a while, but i am pretty sure it used to read nvidia spdif outout - optical etc.

I have posted links to the DEBUG log attached. If anyone has any thoughts, i would be much appreciative!

XBMC Debug URL

Well, i solved my own problem. I just uninstalled pulseaudio, validate the alsamixer settings on reboot and voila all is working correctly again.

I guess my question is now - should i be using Pulse Audio - are there advantages to me using it over Alsa? If so, why would i not have the ability to select (like i do now in audio output settings) the optical output i want to use?

Cheers all!
if you don't need pulse, then don't use it. But as of lately Xbmc will use pulse if you have it installed.
More info here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PulseAudio

Quote:We thought, that if user installs pulseaudio, he knows what he is doing - and therefore use it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no sound since latest reboot0