Req Notifications [More mock-ups are welcome]
Lightbulb 
I've never really been a fan of the way notifications currently work, or rather the lack of options to customize them.

I propose a simple color coded icon in one of the corners of the screen. Somewhere within the settings menu you could then open a notification center where you can see a history of recent notifications or actions generated by XBMC.

Something like this:

Green: Notifications for normal behavior like scanning files, updating plugins, fetching artwork etc.
Yellow: Notifications that require your attention/input, such as updates.
Red: Broken plugins or problems

Would also be great to be able to choose which types of notification icon to display. So maybe you only want to see notifications for problems - you would then only see a yellow/red icon. Might even be easier to just have two color codes, Green and Red.

This is simply a suggestion to clean up the UI and give the option to hide the notifications while still remaining accessible from within XBMC.

I urge others to make their own mock-ups and post them here so that we can get the ball going on this one! I'm absolutely certain there are some awesome concepts out there!

Sorry about the small font, I'm in a bit of a hurry. Anyways, this is my idea so far - I think you get the picture.

watch gallery
I don't' think anyone is a fan on how they work atm Smile

Personally I really like how Android behaves. i.e. they have notifications which are like ours (set an alarm and it pops up the time remaining). And they have the notification bar, where you can have sticky notifications (could be scanning and such) or stuff you can disregard when you'v'e read them (errors for example).

So essentially, keep what we have but perhaps add a stack and add a new notification handler for those which are more important.

Would be awesome to hear skinners view on this though, how they'd' like to do it (mockups and such perhaps?)
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I'm no artist, but I could try my hand at some mock-ups? Never done this before, but my idea isn't too dissimilar from Android. The notifications would be even more subtle (if set that way in options) and the user would be able to turn on/off switches that are more like conditions for what type of notifications you want to see.
Androids notification bar is useless on a set-top-box Smile
(2014-02-12, 23:41)davilla Wrote: Androids notification bar is useless on a set-top-box Smile

I'm just trying to figure out a better alternative, something less obtrusive. I mean if you could even create custom filters to hide things like the CEC device connecting or when XBMC scans folders. Some people want to see it, some don't - maybe this could be doable without altering the code too much.

(2014-02-12, 16:26)topfs2 Wrote: I don't' think anyone is a fan on how they work atm Smile

Personally I really like how Android behaves. i.e. they have notifications which are like ours (set an alarm and it pops up the time remaining). And they have the notification bar, where you can have sticky notifications (could be scanning and such) or stuff you can disregard when you'v'e read them (errors for example).

So essentially, keep what we have but perhaps add a stack and add a new notification handler for those which are more important.

Would be awesome to hear skinners view on this though, how they'd' like to do it (mockups and such perhaps?)

+1 for what the skinners view on this is, there are some seriously talented people on this forum!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Notifications [More mock-ups are welcome]0