A10 vs FX Series (A10-7850K vs FX-8320)
Which should I go with?

The price is basically the same and the motherboard would be bundled with the CPU or APU and wouldn't matter (difference of 10 or 20 bucks).

I just want it to be as future proof as possible.

I have a XFX CORE Edition FX-777A-ZNF4 video card so if the FX series would be a better choice then I'd go that route.

Thoughts?

Thanks again!
It all depends on what you want to do with your PC which is better. What will you be using it for?
(2014-02-12, 18:17)Townie5Lax Wrote: I have a XFX CORE Edition FX-777A-ZNF4 video card so if the FX series would be a better choice then I'd go that route.
Most of us don't have a powerful discrete FX-777A-ZNF4 GPU sitting around. I'm guessing that you are into powerful HTPC. Since you already have a powerful GPU, would as well go for a powerful FX-320 CPU to match it...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-02-12, 18:17)Townie5Lax Wrote: Which should I go with?
I personally would buy a FM2+.
But then again - i would wait for a 65w quad core Kaveri APU and use its IGP and never put a dedicated card in it....
(2014-02-12, 18:17)Townie5Lax Wrote: I just want it to be as future proof as possible.
AM3+ is pretty much done without a replacement in sight so the FX series are not future proof if thats you asking. FM2+ is more future proof.
Also, the FM2+ chipsets are newer, they have all SATA3 ports, built in USB3 ports.
(2014-02-12, 18:17)Townie5Lax Wrote: I have a XFX CORE Edition FX-777A-ZNF4 video card so if the FX series would be a better choice then I'd go that route.
Thoughts?
Thanks again!
Performance-wise the FX-8xxx chips are much better - they have L3 cache, higher clocks than the FM2/FM2+ chips and have twice their core count.
They also consume quite a lot power and the AM3+ platform is probably EOL soon - the performance chips fell off the roadmap at AMD it seems.
The A10 has some architectural improvements against the FX, but it doesnt seem to be that groundbreaking.
It seems that Kaveri is very good at 2 things: it has great performance at low power consumption (the 65w A8-7600 matches the 100w A10 Richlands) and great IGP.
(2014-02-12, 18:17)Townie5Lax Wrote: Which should I go with?

The price is basically the same and the motherboard would be bundled with the CPU or APU and wouldn't matter (difference of 10 or 20 bucks).

I just want it to be as future proof as possible.

I have a XFX CORE Edition FX-777A-ZNF4 video card so if the FX series would be a better choice then I'd go that route.

Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Kind of depends on specific needs, and future needs to determine future proofing.

It's overpowered if you are looking at simple media playback.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A10 vs FX Series (A10-7850K vs FX-8320)0