Linux Flicker black screen on video playback with VAAPI
I did an update of my Ubuntu 12.04 system recently and now when I play any video it flickers to black on what looks like every second frame. I tried turning the tearing on/off in the Catalyst driver manager, but it made no difference. Changing the sync to black setting in XBMC, doesn't make a difference. This used to work only a few days ago.

The behaviour in more detail: Start XBMC with VAAPI on, menus don't flicker. Start playing any video (HD or SD) flickers starts. Stop video because my brain is bleeding. Now menu flickers as well, on every screen refresh and mouse move. Turn off VAAPI, restart XBMC, then everything works fine. Of course no hardware acceleration, so no smooth full HD playback. Sad

Restart X, and the PC made no difference.

I have Catalyst "driver package version" 9.012-1212...". My hardware is The hardware is an AMD E350 with Radeon APU.

Debug log of playing back video with flickering.

Will try update drivers to Ubuntu's "beta" and see if it helps.
VAAPI on AMD is seriously broken...
check the radeon vdpau howto on the top of this forum.
Thanks wsnipex,
I will try the Radeon OSS driver when I get the time, sounds like a good idea. Meantime, I installed the beta Catalyst drivers, and the flickering is gone, but so is my VAAPI hardware acceleration.
Nice to hear that absolutely nothing has changed since we dropped hw acceleration on fglrx ... no wet eyes when looking back.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flicker black screen on video playback with VAAPI0