Series Recording
I'm waiting on my tv tuner to come in a couple of days, and I saw some posts that there was no support for recording a tv series within xbmc? Some of the posts were a few months old, I was just wondering if that has been resolved. And if not, what would be the best way to get it wife friendly? Should I not use xbmc until it is fully supported?

Thanks for the help!
Basic series recording was always possible. First create a timer for a single recording and then edit the timer and play with the "Day" field settings. You will notice that you can change it to "__-__-__-__-__-Sa-Su", "Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr-Sa-Su" etc.
In this way it is already possible to create a single timer for series that air on the same channel and the same time, but on 1 or more weekdays.

As you will notice, this is far from user friendly and it won't give you all the options that MediaPortal's TV Server support.

The challenge with the XBMC approach is that different backends support different options for series recording, so there is no way to have one single "Series recording" dialog that will fit every current supported backend.

Luckily, XBMC allows me to show custom dialogs, and I'm now in the progress of adding a custom "Series Recording" dialog to the Gotham version of the MediaPortal PVR addon.

A quick preview:

This dialog is not yet in the official XBMC Gotham alpha builds and works currently only for the Confluence skin, but it it at least a start Wink
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Can't wait to try this out - looks awesome.

MediaPortal series recording using the first method you describe (time-based) is working adequately for now (in Frodo stable) - even the Mrs (who's non-technical) doesn't have an issue setting a single recording based on the (awesome) EPG and then changing its frequency. Even on the iPad it works nicely!

Thanks for all your work on this, Margro.
Margro,

Looks awesome.

Is there any possibility of building this functionality into an add-on or an update to an add-on in Frodo?

I understand that it's probably a time thing, so if you could use some help working on it, I'd be happy to assist in any way I can.

I've not done any work on XBMC add-ons, but have a fair bit of programming experience, so it's just a matter of language and application.
Hi,

Is is possible to get a build of the version of your mediaportal plugin that has the custom series record dialog?

(or explain where I can see it in the version I am using!)

I am using Gotham with addon 1.9.10.

I am in the process of migrating from MCE to XBMC/MP, but need series recording for the WAF- it's a biggie and I get nagged daily about it ;-)

Thanks,

Ashley
I worked out that you have to click yes when it asks if you want to add a timer, then it shows you the dialog.

Seems to work well - not as easy as WMC, but much better than before.
Hello margro, is the additional dialogue for series record you show above available, not sure if I am missing something but I can't see any series record option at the moment?

Is this similar to the WMC pvr addon where a 'Recordprefs.xml' needs to be added?
Hello margro, also want to try out your changes to the MP pvr addon.
Have tried the latest gotham nightlys and setup the MP addon.
I could watch and schedule recordings but dont see the advanced options from your screenshots.

The WAF need this feature :-)

Is there a way we can try your test version or is this already merged into the master?

thx
pOpY
So I just installed Margro's customised build and now have the series record dialogue as shown above!
I had just installed the latest build from xbmc which does not yet include this.
(2014-02-01, 10:18)kitehigh Wrote: So I just installed Margro's customised build and now have the series record dialogue as shown above!
I had just installed the latest build from xbmc which does not yet include this.

Thx for the info.
Just to install the correct build, did you mean this one:

https://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcel...tml#gotham

From 1.1.2014?

Tnx
POpY
Yes that's the one.
ok thx
Is there a way to alter the list of options or change the defaults in this dialogue? Don't mind editing an xml if I knew which one to look at.

The 'record at this time' based options aren't reliable here as shows aren't on at the same time each day or week. The other half keeps selecting these and then finds the program has not been recorded correctly. If I could change the order or limit the options to the program based ones that would be ideal.
@kitehigh: You can't change the options. These limits are based on what MediaPortal's TVServer actually allows to select.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Series Recording0