Pi - Xbian - video stutters on large pans - XBMC settings don't help?
Odd question based on the title. My setup is a RPi with Xbian 1.0RC1. I stream all my videos via wired connection to the host computer. Many times I've noticed 'jumpiness' or 'stuttering' in a video during a long pan up, down, left, right, doesn't matter. I assume it's a framerate issue but here's what confuses me. I just encoded(using handbrake) a video using the 'basic' preset but modified to have a constant framerate of 23.976. When the film pans, my playback chops up. I was toying with XBMC's settings and here is what I find:

setting: SETTINGS>VIDEOS>PLAYBACK>Adjust display refresh rate to match video>On start/stop
result: no effect

setting: SETTINGS>VIDEOS>PLAYBACK>sync playback to display
result: no effect

I'm baffled by this. I tried each of those settings separately for control purposes and neither of them seemed to have any effect.

Am I losing my mind?
Can you play the files without stutters on any other player?

You say you asked handbrake to force a constant framerate of 23.976. Why?
If they weren't originally 23.976 then you have now introduced stutter into the file that can never be removed.
If they were 23.976 originally then that had no effect. Just leave the framerate alone when encoding with handbrake.
I just tested on the PC which the video file is located. I played it using WMP and it stutters the same. So, I guess that confirms that it's not XBMC. As far as encoding, I changed the setting to constant 23.976 because I saw that as a setting on some of the high end presets like bluray, etc.

As a general encoding setting I have since started using the High Profile preset with the container changed to MKV and everything else left alone so the frame setting is "same as source - Variable rate". That sound legit?

Thanks!

Oh, and would it be good general practice to leave "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" activated?
(2014-02-16, 16:08)moveright Wrote: As a general encoding setting I have since started using the High Profile preset with the container changed to MKV and everything else left alone so the frame setting is "same as source - Variable rate". That sound legit?
Yes. Leave the framerate the same as source or it will stutter.
Quote:Oh, and would it be good general practice to leave "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" activated?
Yes, that option is strongly recommended.
Many thanks!
Not to mention that there may already be stutter/judder in the source material, for instance many older N American DVDs are 29.97 FPS although the source material was 23.97 FPS. Despite many programs claiming they do Pullup or pulldown , I have never seen any of them do a very good job.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi - Xbian - video stutters on large pans - XBMC settings don't help?0