How many DVB-S2 cards do i need ?
Sorry for such a noob question but never used a pvr card before. I have a quad lmb on my satellite dish and want to stream all UK freesat channels around my home. I need to be able to record at least 1 channel while watching another although ideally i would like for all 4 xbmc installations to be able to watch at 1 channel each. Have been looking at the following card http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6981-d...-card.html how many of these cards would i need ?
If you want to watch four streams at once then you will need 4 inputs. So you would need two of them cards. You could also get a tuner for freeview which will enable you to get the few extra free channels like dave and quest plus a few more. That way you can set your own epg and have them set out like sky for instance. It just depends how far you want to go and how much you want to spend.

I will eventually be getting 4 of each tuner. Which in theory will give me 8 streams of some channels but 4 of others.
It depends.....

If you want to guarantee that each xbmc instance can watch a different channel, then you may need 4 inputs. However (and this depends on the per backend), most pvr backends will allow multiple clients to access the same channel using one tuner. Likewise, you should be able to access other channels on the same transponder using a single tuner.

In my setup DVBSky S952 (dual tuner) card in my backend and I've recently added a Sony PlayTV (dual dvb-t) which gives me access to channels not available on freesat.

90% of the time, the dvb-s card was covered recording duties and 2 or three clients around the house without any issues. I only added the dvb-t to get a few channels you don't get on freesat.

Personally I would say start with one card, see how you get on and then add more as you need it, rather than buying multiple cards you may not use.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How many DVB-S2 cards do i need ?0