Req Support "sort name" from MusicBrainz for sorting
Music 
(This is related to, but logically separate from this feature request to support aliases: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=186972 )

This would mean that classical composers, especially (most often known by their last name) would appear in the correct order, e.g. "Tchaikovsky" would appear in the "Ts" as opposed to the "Ps" where he is placed currently. This could implemented similar to the above feature request by using the "sort name" for the alias for the current locale, e.g.

http://musicbrainz.org/artist/9ddd7abc-9...e9/aliases

In my case it would be the English ("en"): "Tchaikovsky, Peter ". Since not all locales have entries, by default this would:
  • use the language / locale specific sort name (if it existed)
  • use the global sort name as a fallback
  • use the name as-is if no sort name set (or artist did not have an MBID)

Obviously this could be toggled on and off as desired by the user.
+1

Anyone else interested in this feature? It is on my growing "improvements for classical music" list, but any pop music listeners that would like to use the last name order for individual performers?
(2015-09-02, 19:28)DaveBlake Wrote: +1

Anyone else interested in this feature? It is on my growing "improvements for classical music" list, but any pop music listeners that would like to use the last name order for individual performers?

Yes, please

/D
I see a problem in cases where you have a mixed library where some music has mbrainz tags and some doesn't, a setting like this would cause the sorting to be kind of messed up in that case and in a bigger library that could be kind of confusing. One alternative would to change the what is display as well when sorting by the sort name (so Tchaikovsky, Peter is displayed), so there is some visual indication if an artist has a sort name or not.

From a pop-perspective, I see benefits of being able to use the sort name for artists. It would be really nice if were able to keep track of if a mbrainz artist was a group or person, so we could only show persons sorted by last name instead of mixing people and groups. Especially if we get support for more of the relationship types from musicbrainz, so we for example only show persons and when selected where able to see which bands or collaborations they had been a part of.
(2015-09-02, 22:38)evilhamster Wrote: I see a problem in cases where you have a mixed library where some music has mbrainz tags and some doesn't...

MusicBrainz is not the only source of sort name tags, TSOP is a standard ID3 tag, it is Kodi that has never bothered to process the tag. In a mixed (incompletely tagged) library then default to sorting by name, but if the user has fully tagged their files (by whatever means) then let them have the facility to use that information intelligently. So I don't see a problem here just an opportunity.

It is also a place for display names or alias - I really don't want to see "Peter Tchaikovsky" (as MB would default), or "Tchaikovsky, Peter" (better for browsing because I don't know the first name of every composer), but just "Tchaikovsky".

Quote:From a pop-perspective, I see benefits of being able to use the sort name for artists. It would be really nice if were able to keep track of if a mbrainz artist was a group or person, so we could only show persons sorted by last name instead of mixing people and groups. Especially if we get support for more of the relationship types from musicbrainz, so we for example only show persons and when selected where able to see which bands or collaborations they had been a part of.

Yes, I still find the artists list hard to scan by first name order even for my non-classical music. I am kean to get into a shake up of the music library if I can catch the PR merry-go-round. Maybe we should talk more?
I think TSOP is supposed to be the sortorder for TPE2, so if you have cases where TPE1 is used as a displayartist you could end up with situations where we have more than one artist in the TPE1 and/or TPE2 field and then the information in TSOP/TSO2 is not really usable for sorting the individual artists. Example:

TPE1=Wyclef Jean feat. Cyndi Lauper aka Luscious Loo Loo
TPE2=Wyclef Jean
TSO2=Jean, Wyclef
TSOP=Jean, Wyclef feat. Lauper, Cyndi
TXXX=Artists=Wyclef Jean / Cyndi Lauper aka Luscious Loo Loo
TXXX=MusicBrainz Artist Id=4f29ecd7-21a5-4c03-b9ba-d0cfe9488f8c / 7bd9e20e-74b9-446a-a2ed-a223f82a36e7

So we could end up in a situation where we are depending on beeing online with a scraper that can fill out the sorting information for artists, or can you think of an other way we could handle it? If possible I would prefer to keep all functionality for those that for some reason don't have any internet connectivity from their kodi box.

Two intresting things,
1)
According to http://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames
TSOP
The 'Performer sort order' frame defines a string which should be
used instead of the performer (TPE2) for sorting purposes.

But it seems picard uses TSOP for TPE1, can you check your tagger and see how it handles TSOP/TSO2?

2)
For picard tagged files, it would be possible to use the contents of ARTISTS to break up the TPE1 field to get the join terms. Interesting!
What about TSOC - Composer Sort Order?
I'm currently looking at implementing this, is anyone has any input
I just installed Kodi 17 RC2 on Windows to test it (my main music system is on Raspberry 2): it seems that there's still no way to sort artist by last name, i.e. no way to use a sort tag for artists.
Am I correct or missing something, and is there maybe any workaround editing xml or something like that?
I use Yatse/Kodi for liquid music and Picard for tagging flac files and I think it's the perfect home music system, it's just a pity for the artist sorting...
I'm implementing this feature for v18, you are too early.
Uh OK, not bad anyway!
To me it was almost the last missing thing for the perfect liquid music home system.
Maybe even the playlist manager could be better... but I still have to try the new web interface.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support "sort name" from MusicBrainz for sorting1