Improvement of audio device selector and banding issue
There's a setting in v13 to enable limited range RGB (16-235) if required.
(2014-02-21, 10:58)jjd-uk Wrote: There's a setting in v13 to enable limited range RGB (16-235) if required.
Thank you!
I can also do that in my graphics card for untouched 16-235, but my poor ATI HD5770 always compress it to 16-235 when outputting to my projector.
The full ranged 0-255 RGB output worked before, but now it always output 16-235 no matter which pixel format I choose.
On the other hand if everything works as expetced, I see two more problems:
1) XBMC works in 0-255 luma range, if I don't expand video they'll be running on different luma range (16-235)
2) If I switch to my PC monitor which only accept 0-255, I need to readjust the settings.
Some sort of dithering is needed to overcome this I guess......
(2014-02-20, 13:58)jjd-uk Wrote: The Default device can be selected as the Passthrough device, what doesn't currently happen is that the audio through XBMC doesn't follow any change in the Default device at the OS level while XBMC is open.

So select WASAPI: Default in XBMC

In OS the HDMI is Default so XBMC send audio to the HDMI.

Remove HDMI and Optical becomes Default ast OS level, you will now get noise as XBMC is unable to change to Optical device.

Close XBMC.

Open XBMC, now XBMC should be able to send audio to the Optical device.

So basically at the moment XBMC can't dynamically refresh it's device list while open, to pick up any change in Default device correctly XBMC must be restarted.

However this may change once this is in https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4133
jjd-uk, do you know if this will be part of a nightly or will we have to wait for a major update?
As far as I know it's just waiting for merger so as soon as it is it'll be in the nightlies and the forthcoming Gotham beta.

I may have actually misunderstood the purpose of that PR as I'm not one of the dev's so I'm not 100% sure what effect if any it'll have on the Default device in Windows.
It needs something to trigger the device change on windows for that to take effect. It currently works with PulseAudio on Linux, OSX and IOS.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2014-02-21, 16:16)jjd-uk Wrote: As far as I know it's just waiting for merger so as soon as it is it'll be in the nightlies and the forthcoming Gotham beta.

I may have actually misunderstood the purpose of that PR as I'm not one of the dev's so I'm not 100% sure what effect if any it'll have on the Default device in Windows.

Hi, I have to revisit the topic of default audio device - just wanna make sure XBMC 13 gets it right :-) I searched for a workaround and many many other people are also looking for a good solution to this issue. Right now profiles seems to be the only workaround, but it has several problems:
1) Login screen doesn't work with XBMC remote
2) Many settings are not copied from master profile to new profile (for example subtitle settings)
3) No shortcut for profile switch.

I'd like to ask in the new XBMC 13 with default device for passthrough being configured, what if HDMI is disconncted and the default device becomes the analogue device, will XBMC detect that and decode instead of passthrough DTS/AC3 tracks?
Some new changes have gone in today that enables XBMC for Windows to better handle device changes, from my brief testing the Default audio device in XBMC now follows the Windows OS Default audio device, however I don't have any passthrough on my test rig so I need to have a play with it on the living room HTPC.
(2014-02-23, 21:33)jjd-uk Wrote: Some new changes have gone in today that enables XBMC for Windows to better handle device changes, from my brief testing the Default audio device in XBMC now follows the Windows OS Default audio device, however I don't have any passthrough on my test rig so I need to have a play with it on the living room HTPC.

Thank sounds good, at least 1st step towards perfection IMO :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Improvement of audio device selector and banding issue0