DVB setup
Im setting up a dual boot windows/linux setup. I find windows easier but i prefer linux because of the quickness of it.

My question is, can i put a dvb usb stick to watch freeview or sky through it?
Also is there anyway i can stream it to my mobile for when i work away from home? would this affect my wife watching it at home?

Is it worth getting a card for sound to do 5.1 Dolby sound to plug into my AV system?
(2014-02-21, 00:55)kevstar81 Wrote: My question is, can i put a dvb usb stick to watch freeview or sky through it?
Yes, though the setup is not trivial (see PVR forum/Wiki). DVB-T tuner for Freeview, DVB-S tuner for the free sky Channels. DVB-T2, DVB-S2 tuners required for HD channels as well.

Quote:Also is there anyway i can stream it to my mobile for when i work away from home? would this affect my wife watching it at home?
Yes, but you need broadband with an upload speed far in excess of most domestic connections. Also if both you and your wife wish to watch at the sme time you will need twin tuners. Using iPlayer or Skygo on your phone would be more practical IMO. If you are travelling abroad then VPN/Proxy service might do, otherwise maybe a facility to just download recorded TV to your phone.

Quote:Is it worth getting a card for sound to do 5.1 Dolby sound to plug into my AV system?
Thats something only you can answerSmile For an Audiophile with a serious kickass surround sound AV system then the answer is yes. If you are happy enough with the sound out of your TV/PC speakers, then probably no.
I use both DVB-T (Freeview) and DVB-S (Freesat) in my system, and use tvheadend for the backend support.

The sony PlayTV (USB) is a cheap dvb-t (SD only), dual tuner device - you can grab them off ebay for about £20. I use a DVBSky s952 for dvb-s (supports SD and HD) - its dual tuner too and a pci-e device - should be able to pick one up for about £60. I've recently got a PCTV nanostick t2 (290e) which is a single tuner dvb-t usb device that supports hd channels - can be had for about £40.

If you want to watch one channel and record another, or be able to watch different streams in different rooms then you will need a dual tuner device. PlayTV is a cheap option to get started with.

You could stream remotely assuming you have a decent upload connection on your home network. If this is something you want to do, then you will need a pvr backend that will support transcoding - it reduces the bitrate and resolution of the stream. This is quite CPU heavy, so you will need quite powerful machine to do this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVB setup0