Gotham ready for usage?
Are those of you using Gotham finding the latest nightlies to be ready for daily usage? As being new to SQL, I was told that just upgrading XBMC on each machine would upgrade the database. Is this true? Do I need to back up my userdata folder or reimport sources or anything? Do many skins work with it yet?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I like:
*Improved Video and Audio support
*Being upto date

Everything else is the same to me as a user going from Frodo to Gotham except subtitles and database.

DBase -You will have to rescan/update/refresh your sources.
Subtitles -You have to choose a particular subtitle addon rather than have 1 that does many different sources.

I find it to be very stable as well. There are loads of skins that work for it.
I been using it daily since forever, so your definition of ready for daily use in that context imo is just fine.

iirc its going beta anyday now, since the skins abi has been bumped ready for beta yesterday, so skins wise you may find that from yesterday it likely will break most of them, since up to now the aby was 4.00 and now its 5.0.0, with a bit of luck skin devs would have found 3 months to get ready for this if not just ignore the skin xxxx has been marked as broken.

Yes newer xbmc version will upgrade the databases version, so if you want to keep in sync all your instances of xbmc need to be same. Otherwise you can run one machine on Gotham but not synced to others.

Since I only use development master branch I dont care for 3rd party skins, they are really the cause for many instabilities and problems in xbmc, so I only use Default skin and any addons that I need want.

You should always backup userdata (wiki) and no it shouldn't need to reimport anything or rescan anything unless you remove userdata (wiki) after backup.

There is a issue with a likely PR to fix on internal forced subtitles. Yes Subtitles providers (Opensubttles, subscene etc) is now separate and for each provider you need a new addon Opensubs is default I think.
I only run in portable mode on Windows, don't share nor update the database (scrape all new) and Gotham runs well for me, other than the odd thing I comment on or open a ticket. Certainly no show-stoppers for me (YMMV of course).
I don't think I would use it as my production system however, just to be safe.
scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham ready for usage?0