• 128(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
Hi all, currently have 500gb harddrive in the dn2820 which I think maybe dodgy . Would a ssd make the box a lot faster?
Also if I attach a usb harddrive , if my operating system crashes , I presume all my files would be ok as only the ssd would crash if I had to re install?
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks
Haven't posted in a while. Just wanted to add that the latest KodiBuntu runs fantastically on the DN2820FYKH NUC. Except it doesn't recognize Xbox360 or Xbox one remotes...
(2015-03-24, 00:10)Sniffer77 Wrote: Hi all, currently have 500gb harddrive in the dn2820 which I think maybe dodgy . Would a ssd make the box a lot faster?
Also if I attach a usb harddrive , if my operating system crashes , I presume all my files would be ok as only the ssd would crash if I had to re install?
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks

It probably will make the library scans faster and boot times shorter but boot times means nothing if you suspend the NUC.

Yeah, having the OS on the internal SSD and having media files stored in an external source is safer and better IMO.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2015-03-24, 11:24)xbs08 Wrote:
(2015-03-24, 00:10)Sniffer77 Wrote: Hi all, currently have 500gb harddrive in the dn2820 which I think maybe dodgy . Would a ssd make the box a lot faster?
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks

It probably will make the library scans faster and boot times shorter but boot times means nothing if you suspend the NUC.

Yeah, having the OS on the internal SSD and having media files stored in an external source is safer and better IMO.

Thanks for the reply. Think I will pick up a ssd then. Good deal on amazon today for a crucial 250gb ssd for less than £60.

Out of interest what bios number are you using ? I'm insure if I need to update. Might seem a silly question does bios go onto harddrive or ram? I'm not too good with computers so just trying to understand stuff
Thanks
What OS do you plan on putting on the NUC?
250GB is way too much if your going for OpenELEC or KodiBuntu.

I'm using an older BIOS (can't say exactly which one) because I dont feel the need to update, everything just works as it is.

From wikipedia:
"The BIOS is a type of firmware used during the booting process..." and it goes onto the motherboard.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2015-03-24, 12:08)xbs08 Wrote: What OS do you plan on putting on the NUC?
250GB is way too much if your going for OpenELEC or KodiBuntu.

I'm using an older BIOS (can't say exactly which one) because I dont feel the need to update, everything just works as it is.

From wikipedia:
"The BIOS is a type of firmware used during the booting process..." and it goes onto the motherboard.

Purely openelec. I was only thinking of the large ssd so I could store some movies directly that are my favourites , should my portable hdd be linked to one of my other kodi players it could still watch .
Thanks for clarifying re bios
Switching external drives around is a pain for library management.

Have you heard about networking?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-03-24, 20:44)nickr Wrote: Have you heard about networking?
That's where you talk to people you know about something right? Like when you're looking for a job you ask people you know if their company is hiring? Wink
(2015-03-24, 20:44)nickr Wrote: Switching external drives around is a pain for library management.

Have you heard about networking?

+1

I installed openelec on a haswell nuc last year with little fuss. Just bought a 2820 and can't get it to do anything. I've created the openelec stick, but just wont boot. I've updated the BIOS via the F7 method, but can't enter F2 to change any of the bios settings (just hangs on entering setup). I've tried this on both a sony lcd and a Panasonic projector but does nothing.

After everything being so simple last time, I assumed it would be this time too.

Any ideas?
F10 should get you into the Bios screen to select the boot drive. Is that not working?
Edit : Post deleted, I'm in the wrong topic Sad
Do 3d mvc rips with hd audio work on this? Unfortunately 3d and mvc, alone and together, are to short to search this thread in meantime I will start reading the 100 odd pages Smile
Do you mean in 3D or in 2D? They will work in 2D, but raspberry pi is the only kodi platform that will do 3D MVC at the present time.

PS you can search in google:

Quote:3d mvc site:forum.kodi.tv
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sorry should have elaborated a bit more : via external player stereoscopic player on windows platform. Wondering if the n.u.c hardware is powerful enough with corect hw decoding etc all my files are nvc in mkv container via makemkv all hd audio or less no hd master audio ripped. Thanks for the search code no idea how to do stuff like that will bookmark this thanks again
  • 128(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5