questions about active AE
Hi,

I read the wiki which describes the new audio engine (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine). Even if it's well described and dont understand a few things.
My lack of knowledege is about fixed/best match/optimized settings .
Would it be possible to have some example to understand them better ?
For example, i use optimised settings even if i dont really understand what it's doing Tongue, yeah i know ^^.

Also, is xbmc able to detect on the fly the audio system capabilities, i mean when we switch off/on receiver will it changes the audio layout/passtrough to adapt to the TV capabilities ?
In my system i've disabled DTS passthrough, and i noticed that if i start a DTS movie with receiver on it will play 5.1 PCM, but if i start the movie with receiver off it will play 2.0PCM, which matches TV capabilities.

Bibi
I plan on updated the whole audio section of the wiki for Gotham, for now it's best to read the help description that appear at the bottom when each setting is highlighted.

Fixed - will always send audio in a constant format.

Optimised - When a playback session is launched it looks at the audio properties of the source and fixes them for duration of playback, for example prevents 5.1 to 2.0 channel switches if you have an AVR/TV that's slow to respond to these.

Best match - This seeks to maintain the original properties of the source in a way compatible with your system, so it will do any changes in audio properties from 5.1 to 2.0 channels or 48Hz to 96Hz and so on if your audio device supports it, basically it's the old audiophile advanced setting brought into the user interface.

As for your second question, there's been a few changes in this area in the last couple of weeks that I need to get my head around myself, so I'm not 100% sure myself, but the aim is certainly to make those kind of scenarios easier to mange.
Thanks for your explanation jjd-uk.
I will look to the description inside xbmc to see if they match the wiki and report back
Quote:Also, is xbmc able to detect on the fly the audio system capabilities, i mean when we switch off/on receiver will it changes the audio layout/passtrough to adapt to the TV capabilities ?
In my system i've disabled DTS passthrough, and i noticed that if i start a DTS movie with receiver on it will play 5.1 PCM, but if i start the movie with receiver off it will play 2.0PCM, which matches TV capabilities.

ActiveAE provides a method to be called if audio capabilities changes but not all drivers call this method. Pulseaudio recognizes device removal/adding, Windows should recognize changes, iOS and OSX as well. ALSA does not notify the engine about any changes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
questions about active AE0