iPad 2 Compatible for 1080p streaming???
Good day everyone,

I have this setup at home:

I already have an iPad 2 with XBMC installed inside, there's no problem playing wirelessly of 480p, DVDRip, 720p Movies. But when I tried to play 1080p movies, it lagging/stuttering...

I have a Router TP Link w8980 with 2.4Ghz (300mbps) + 5Ghz (300mbps). The iPad is currenly connected to the 5Ghz WiFi but still lags on 1080p streaming.

Could you advice me what I can do to support 1080p movies..

Cheers!
- Check wireless speed on the ipad2
- Check if your video format is supported: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp622
(2014-02-28, 10:38)zxz0O0 Wrote: - Check wireless speed on the ipad2

I already checked that, according to this http://support.apple.com/kb/sp622
Quote:TV and Video

AirPlay Mirroring to Apple TV support at 720p
Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)
Video out support at 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

It is supported 1080p but it requires a wired connection with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter.

Most of my 1080p movies are on .mkv and mp4 formats...

But when I'm wireless streaming via my iPad 3 or iPhone 5 both running on XBMC, it is streaming smoothly....

If the iPad3 can play the same file without any problems then I guess the iPad2 just doesn't have enough power to play it smoothly and there is nothing you can do about.

That page means nothing when you have XBMC installed.

The issue here is the iPad 2 has weaker wifi.
(2014-03-01, 05:35)Ned Scott Wrote:

That page means nothing when you have XBMC installed.

The issue here is the iPad 2 has weaker wifi.

Thanks! So I can't do anything about it coz it's a hardware related issue.

Probably, I will just have to download DVDRips and place them inside the 1080p movie folders, DVDrips will be for WiFi streaming, and 1080p movies are for Wired Streaming.
If you don't mind waiting a bit for it to buffer, you could use a nightly build (wiki) and increase the video cache: HOW-TO:Modify the video cache (wiki)

Something like example 1.
(2014-03-01, 07:38)Ned Scott Wrote: If you don't mind waiting a bit for it to buffer, you could use a nightly build (wiki) and increase the video cache: HOW-TO:Modify the video cache (wiki)

Something like example 1.

Finally! Thanks alot for this post, probably this would help the iPad 2 on Buffering on 1080p movies... I will surely try the nightly build on my iOS devices to increase the video cache.

I just got a few more questions before I do the nightly build.

1. Is it recommended on all Apple devices to use the nightly build to increase video cache? Would it have any effect on the device?
2. What is the normal transfer rate of video for normal build of XBMC (freshly installed XBMC on the device)?
3. What is the transfer rate of video of XBMC night build?

And the movie that was buffering on my iPad 2 was I think too big to run for an iPad device. It was 30GB 1080p :p , I'll try to play movies that are only 10gb per 1080p... Smile
1. A nightly build is required to use the correct cache settings for your situation. It shouldn't hurt anything. I've been running nightly builds on my iOS devices and they actually seem quite stable.

2. That depends entirely on the network hardware of the device. XBMC normally won't load the video any faster than it needs to unless you modify the cache settings, as noted on the wiki page.

3. Same as 2.
(2014-03-01, 22:01)Ned Scott Wrote: 1. A nightly build is required to use the correct cache settings for your situation. It shouldn't hurt anything. I've been running nightly builds on my iOS devices and they actually seem quite stable.

2. That depends entirely on the network hardware of the device. XBMC normally won't load the video any faster than it needs to unless you modify the cache settings, as noted on the wiki page.

3. Same as 2.

Thank you very much. I will install nightly build on all of my apple devices. Cheers!

EDIT:

I'm I on the Nightly build?

yes
(2014-03-02, 03:03)Ned Scott Wrote: yes

Thanks alot for the Help Ned... maybe you can also help me HERE

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPad 2 Compatible for 1080p streaming???0