xbmc on gigabyte mobo black screen crash?
Hi all,

I've been trying to get xbmc to run on my rather old p.c......

I have tried all variations from v 11 to 12.3 all do the same thing, either just start to run (black screen) then back to desktop, or failed to open gui (or words to that effect).

I am running XP with SP3, with 3 GB ram, over 100gb free space, with a nvidia geforce 7600 GT card. I have tried 195.62, 197.13, 266.58, 296.10, 307.83 but all to no avail.

the only one I did get to run regardless of driver installed was a version from here (sorry lost tab) xbmc-11.0-Eden_beta3.exe and a fixed main exe, and that ran first time.

I understand its an old setup but if a Rasp pi can run it then surely an athlon xp 2800 would suffice.

Would appreciate any ideas to get this to work (if possible)....
sadsack

sorry nearly forgot, it's a gigabyte ga 7vt600 1394 mobo.
You can check out the wiki for hardware compatibility. But I already know the issue (I have one of those old Barton 2600 systems with a AMD 3650) and if your gfx card will cut it, then I would recommend a Ubuntu install, you'll find the new XBMC runs well on it. If you're determined to run XP3 then I'd suggest a backward step to the old Dharma build. if you had luck with a beta Eden then it might be a better option if the bugs don't kill you.

Support for XP is dying everywhere, time to think cross platform.
Thanks for the info PatK,

Something I forgot to mention was that i dual boot with Vista, so i thought i would give that a go, same problem, ..... So I decided one last try, (a rollback), this worked to a certain degree, I get a black screen then a kind of "bong" sound, then straight back to desktop, There's no error message's of any kind. In fact I only just tried it a second ago, and i get a black screen for about 1 second then back to desktop.

I had a look at the wiki and as far as I can see this p.c. should be able to run it.

The version of Eden that I installed would not work at all, until I installed the hacked main executable.

I have just taken about 3 hours to find this bloody link..... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119757&page=3

this has the fixed executable..... but nothing works on it...... well it does work to a certain degree, but possibly due to it's age any addons do not work.
But it does go to show, that the person who re-wrote the executable had the ability to fix nvidia black screen and cannot create gui problems.
Somewhere in the Eden builds XP3 stopped for a lot of people including me, went back to Dharma and most worked, but add-ons started to fade away and I had a few other minor issues playing 1080p. Made the decision to get into new hardware, ran the latest. On my older machine I installed the Ubuntu as a duel boot, and out of curiosity installed XBMC, I was amazed at how nicely it worked and played those big files. Sure you might be able to get patches for this or that.... but your support is fading in all areas.

Jump on a Intel NUC or install ubuntu and stop losing hair.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc on gigabyte mobo black screen crash?0