Select audio stream from MPEG-TS files
i was wondering if anyone else would find it useful to have the ability to select from multiple audio streams in an mpeg2 transport stream (*.ts) file?

i currently use a dvb-t card for recording digital tv straight onto my hard drive, then play back using xbmc. this is great 80% of the time, but some of the time the ts file contains multiple audio streams (e.g. additional audio description channel) and xbmc plays back the wrong stream (i assume it just plays back the first stream it comes across), rather than the main stream.

the workaround at present is to demux the ts file into one video and one or more audio streams, choose the correct stream, then remux it back into an mpg, but would obviously love the ability to just select the correct stream on playback.

would anyone else find this useful? with dvb-t cards becoming more and more popular i would have thought this would be helpful to many.

cheers,

js
Hi there,
I would also love this feature, however for me rather than playing "the wrong" audio stream it seems to play no audio stream at all. Unless "the wrong" one is silent?

Is there any way of manual workaround through configuration of xbmc rather than re-muxing everything?

Cheers,

Jonny L
osd should display the streams and allow you to select them.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Is there another part of the OSD or is there not just "Left/Right/Both" options within the audio section or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks again,

Jonny
In the Audio and Subtitle screen of the OSD, there's an "Audio Stream" option which has an up/down selector. If the streams are recognized that list should populate. You can try using "play with..." and selecting the dvdplayer to see it recognizes the audio streams.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
actually it's probably broken Smile working on it in the new mplayer.dll right now.

Fantastic news!
Thats great elupus!
I'm really looking forward to the new mplayer.dll integration with edl lists etc!

Keep up the good work!

Jonny
Yes it's broken and has been since before june 2006 I believe. Maybe subtitles could be fixed also Wink
Ah-ha,
I had totally forgotten about the alternative player "DVDPlayer" and played "using" it and I was able to select the different streams, infact the timeline even worked,
I was even able to watch a .ts file while it was being recorded but I think it either crashed Webscheduler or my server box or could have just been co-incidental.

When playing a .ts file with mplayer while it is being recorded seems to work but only until the file is written to again or until the buffer is played out, not sure of while, all I do know is it's only about 10secs worth before it stops.

I'd just taken mplayers amazing abilities at playing just about anything up until now for granted.

Is it's a .ts limitation that stops you being able to watch something while it is still being written to?

Thanks again,

Jonny
there's a new mplayer.dll found at the link below which should fix the stream selection bug.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=23969

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Select audio stream from MPEG-TS files0