Android smartwatch controlling XBMC
(2014-03-21, 01:24)T800 Wrote: My watch should be here next week. Any idea when we might see some builds we can try? Thanks

I will need a few beta testers so I'll put you on the list. Not sure when I'll be ready to package it up to give to anyone else yet.
I'm making good progress, the performance is now much faster than you see in the video and there's no need to configure ip
address's as the watch can find the machine running XBMC by itself etc. battery life is much improved as I turn the wifi on and off
depending on when it's needed.

btw, if anyone has any ideas for things they think should be speech controlled, let me know.
I intend to implement everything that's JSON controllable and makes sense.
Steve.
Okay thanks!

Off the top of my head I would like to see easily changable profiles for different XBMC's devices.

Would it be possible to have the watch listening for specific commands just during actual video/music playback. So when something is playing just saying "Stop", "Pause", "Skip" will send the commands rather than pressing buttons then speaking?

God I feel lazy asking that Big Grin
(2014-03-21, 19:20)steve118x Wrote:
(2014-03-21, 01:24)T800 Wrote: My watch should be here next week. Any idea when we might see some builds we can try? Thanks

I will need a few beta testers so I'll put you on the list. Not sure when I'll be ready to package it up to give to anyone else yet.
I'm making good progress, the performance is now much faster than you see in the video and there's no need to configure ip
address's as the watch can find the machine running XBMC by itself etc. battery life is much improved as I turn the wifi on and off
depending on when it's needed.

btw, if anyone has any ideas for things they think should be speech controlled, let me know.
I intend to implement everything that's JSON controllable and makes sense.
Steve.

Will it work on other android based smart watches?
Quote:Will it work on other android based smart watches?

I have two SmartQ Z1's but thats all , I haven't tried it on any other Android watch.
This is the first time I've written anything for Android so I'm no expert, but, I'm not
using any specific Z1 SDK elements. I'm only using stuff from Android and Java SDK's
so I think there's some chance that it would work on other watches.

It is set to work on a 240x240 pixel screen and it does need Wifi
(there seems to be a lot of watches coming out for several hundred dollars
that don't include Wifi!, while the Z1 has Wifi and is just $99)

Steve.
(2014-03-21, 23:42)T800 Wrote: Would it be possible to have the watch listening for specific commands just during actual video/music playback. So when something is playing just saying "Stop", "Pause", "Skip" will send the commands rather than pressing buttons then speaking?

from experience (I designed the Amuletdevices remote) I know that would be problematic.
Part of the reason the Amulet remote works so well (and the SmartQ watch) is that it only listens when you tell it to.
If you use the open mic methodology with a trigger word etc, it's prone to mis-recognitions. That ultimately leads to
a hit and miss user experience which is not something I'm interested in. If speech recognition is to catch on and be
used for more that just novelty applications it needs to work consistently all the time, having the user trigger the device
and have it listening only when he/she is talking is a prerequisite in my book.
(that doesn't mean the listening has to be triggered with just buttons, I will try using the accelerometer in the watch,
The AmuletDevices remote uses the tilt of the remote very successfully, but from what I've seen so far of other apps
on the SmartQ Z1 using the orientation of the watch to turn it on etc is not totally reliable, but I will try it out. Assuming
It's available through the Android SDK and doesn't require specific stuff from the SmartQ Z1 SDK)

Steve.
Here's an update on my progress getting an Android Smartwatch to control XBMC with voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMKilugYyHs

I've added search by actor , it works well.
I've also made some speed improvements, added ability for the watch to find XBMC with broadcast packets,
and given the plugin a bit of a makeover.
Steve.
(2014-06-13, 22:11)steve118x Wrote: Here's an update on my progress getting an Android Smartwatch to control XBMC with voice.

I've added search by actor , it works well.
I've also made some speed improvements, added ability for the watch to find XBMC with broadcast packets,
and given the plugin a bit of a makeover.
Steve.

Nice!
I just saw the AndroidTV controlled by smartwatch in the Google I/O keynote,
I got a kick out of knowing my smartwatch controlling XBMC is ahead of Google (for the moment!)

Steve
When are you going to release a build?
(2014-09-10, 14:14)T800 Wrote: When are you going to release a build?

yes , sorry for the delay, probably next week.
I've been working on adding support for the AmuletDevices voice remote control.
I have that included now, so voice searches work from either the Android Smartwatch or the Remote Control,
you don't have to select or configure which one , you just speak into whichever one is most convenient at that
particular time.(remote while on the couch and pressing buttons, or the SmartWatch while not on the couch and remote not handy)

Also when talking to the watch you need to select which speech recogniser to use , the Microsoft one or the Google one
depending on which button you press, but when using the Remote Control it's a tilt to talk mechanism and both
recognisers are used simultaneously and the results from the recogniser with the most confidence are used.

I'll post a video of it working with both the remote and the watch next week , along with an alpha build.
(it works great, nothing like the convenience of using buttons for most things but then when you get an idea to search for
something and instead of having to plough through menus or reach for a keyboard , you just tilt the remote to your
mouth and say what you want, magic!)
Steve
Great! Thanks for update!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android smartwatch controlling XBMC0