• 8(current)
I think the piracy policy needs updating.
(2014-03-03, 00:02)nooryani84 Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 23:40)PatK Wrote: The mere mention of 'those' add-ons shouldn't bring condemnation, a polite we just don't support or link because of piracy, should suffice.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm new to XBMC and still trying to figure out what topics are or are not appropriate for the various forums that discus the features, capabilities, and functionality of the software. To many it may be obvious if a particular add on supports piracy of protected content but to others it may not. Just the fact that an add on can be loaded up may lead some users to believe that it's content is supported ( not in the tech support sense), and that is why they log on here for assistance.
I suggest that the above statement "the mere mention..." should be the guidance used in dealing with posts looking for support for add-ones that are known to support piracy, I believe most will respond with a "thanks I wasn't thinking about it that way" or something to that effect and move on, those that don't can be cut off.
The forum needs rules, just as society needs rules, but everyone deserves a break at least once. So let's be kind to first time offenders let them know about their transgression I bet most won't reoffend, at lest not intentionally.
This may have been mentioned but how about a sticky that lists those add-ons that support piracy with a mention that questions concerning them will be deleted and that the poster risks losing their membership if they persist....

Ross
(2014-03-10, 15:33)R0ss0 Wrote:
(2014-03-03, 00:02)nooryani84 Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 23:40)PatK Wrote: The mere mention of 'those' add-ons shouldn't bring condemnation, a polite we just don't support or link because of piracy, should suffice.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm new to XBMC and still trying to figure out what topics are or are not appropriate for the various forums that discus the features, capabilities, and functionality of the software. To many it may be obvious if a particular add on supports piracy of protected content but to others it may not. Just the fact that an add on can be loaded up may lead some users to believe that it's content is supported ( not in the tech support sense), and that is why they log on here for assistance.
I suggest that the above statement "the mere mention..." should be the guidance used in dealing with posts looking for support for add-ones that are known to support piracy, I believe most will respond with a "thanks I wasn't thinking about it that way" or something to that effect and move on, those that don't can be cut off.
The forum needs rules, just as society needs rules, but everyone deserves a break at least once. So let's be kind to first time offenders let them know about their transgression I bet most won't reoffend, at lest not intentionally.
This may have been mentioned but how about a sticky that lists those add-ons that support piracy with a mention that questions concerning them will be deleted and that the poster risks losing their membership if they persist....

Ross

You just misrepresented PatK which also takes my comment completely out of context.

His full post reads:

(2014-03-02, 23:40)PatK Wrote: Once you start censoring posts it's a slippery slope to all out dictatorial control of peoples thoughts. Again I re-iterate XBMC forums shouldn't be the gatekeepers of all that is right in the world. The program XBMC is only a conduit to media, and support forums shouldn't direct peoples actions and remind them of copyright control. I wonder if VLC, Utorrent or Winrar webs sites have this kind of censorship, they can all be abused in many ways.

The mere mention of 'those' add-ons shouldn't bring condemnation, a polite we just don't support or link because of piracy, should suffice.

When it comes to first time offenders, it's mentioned quite clearly here that they WON'T be banned http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1277689

I think the "Let's talk about the piracy issue" is beating a dead horse by now...
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I think the piracy policy needs updating.0