• 7(current)
Dynamic/Smart Playlists feature added
To make the above testing simpler, we now have a nice smartplaylist editor in SVN Smile

Get to it by context menu (WHITE) on an existing smart playlist, or click the "New Smart Playlist..." entry from the playlist folder.

PM3 only for a while until the other skinners have time to implement the GUI side of things.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

nice to see that there's now going to be an integrated playlist editor - suppose that going to make my script a bit redundant (sigh) or is it worth me updating it to include 'Rating and Comments' as selectable fields for the short future ?
Retired from Add-on dev
the playlist editor has been there for over a month.

the smart playlist editor however is new.

(i'm just making a point here - jmarshall worked his ass off and got exactly 2 comments on the playlist editor - i'm surprised he even bothered with the smart one).
spiff Wrote:the playlist editor has been there for over a month.

the smart playlist editor however is new.

(i'm just making a point here - jmarshall worked his ass off and got exactly 2 comments on the playlist editor - i'm surprised he even bothered with the smart one).

I and all the different guests that come to my house enjoy and appreciate all/every work you guys do/did with xbmc.
I've not updated my build for a few months and wasnt aware of it (I was using my own script).

So, yes, it's is a very welcome addition.
Thanks jm
Retired from Add-on dev
hmmmnn.....checking the the posts to see what's new.....does Mr. Marshall's "Smart Playlist Editor" make obsolete this sentence from the On Line Manual -----

"Currently there is no way to generate a Smart Playlist from within the XBMC GUI, but you can easily setup some by creating an xml file with the extension .xsp. ""

And... that one now can build and edit Smart Playlists from within the XBMC gui...

Hopefully!!Big Grin

Clearsong
i'd like smart playlists to NOT be linked.

i.e. if i want to view my animes smart playlist by banner, i dont want to have to view my other smartplaylist via something else.
Lightbulb 
aoaaron Wrote:i'd like smart playlists to NOT be linked.

i.e. if i want to view my animes smart playlist by banner, i dont want to have to view my other smartplaylist via something else.

Would that be a skin customisation issue possibly?
-----

Ok, so I've dug around a bit and not seen something (in development or suggested) that matches, so either my search skills are not up to par or it's just not been floated as an idea.

In essence I'm trying to combat the difficulty in navigating an ever growing library. Mine has grown and grown over the last 5 (6?) years since I started meddling with XBMC, and in that time and with the family growing the amount of media grew exponentially there for a bit. Profiles help a little, though it's a little clunky to go back and forth and maintain (not a gripe, just comment from my perspective), and whilst smart playlists look to hold the potential to achieve exactly what I'm after they fall just short of the target.

Smart playlists are awesome, and in my opinion they work much better for music than they do for TV or film. No drama, that was their original intent after all.

Smartlists are very much driven in their current state by how storage is structured or how media is scraped (or manually entered).

What I would really like would be a flexible 'favourites' system, groups set up that could be added to the main menu like "Rom-com favourites" (to keep the missus happy), "Kids favourites" (for the short-rounds in the house), "Action favourites" etc etc and have them able to be dynamically built by browsing the 'full' library and "tagging" (for want of a better word right now) library items.

Smart playlists almost do that, I can for example create a storage hierarchy where the movies sit in particular folders based on what 'groups' I'd like. I can have a "Kids" folder, an "Action" folder, a "Sci-fi" folder, a "Rom-com" folder etc etc. But it takes placement in the playlists out of control of XBMC, or the user, and puts it in the hands of the person doing the file storage.

My idea would be to combine the use of the existing 'favourites' functionality with that of the smart playlists by simply adding another field to smart playlists: isfavourite [true/false]

I could then have 2 smart playlists, one called "Rom-com" and one called "Rom-com Favourites". "Rom-com" could be populated based on where files are stored (or genre's assigned from scraping, whatever tickles the fancy) and "Rom-com Favourites" could be a union of the "Rom-com" playlist with the addition of a "Is Favourite" field = True argument.

It might seem trivial, but if there are 250 movies in any genre and the person browsing just wants to watch something they know they enjoy, but aren't sure what, even if they only spend a second per movie it can still take a number of minutes to browse the entire genre. I know, choice sucks :p, but I'd like to refine it.

Which brings me to my questions (predicated by the fact that I'm going to attempt this, just would like a little advice on whether or not to bother before doing so):

1) Is this being discussed, called something else, anywhere else and I've just missed it?
2) Would this be better done with scripting rather than adding directly to the functionality of smart playlists?
3) If I'm reading this thread correctly, and assuming nothing has changed (I'm cloning from github as I type), smart playlists are simply SQL queries so it should be relatively simple to add a join to another table, right? (this assumes favourites are stored in a table of course).

Thoughts? I'm about to dig into it to see if I can make this happen, my biggest concern is that I'd rather not waste time doing this if someone else is already working on something similar.
Orac Wrote:(this assumes favourites are stored in a table of course)

Well, that assumption let me down didn't it (and that'll teach me to assume).

So favourites are stored in an xml (I assume to allow easy access by skin builders/scripts, maybe this is just a legacy thing?) and not in sql. Bottom line, can't be included in a query. And whilst I haven't completely taken in smartplaylists.cpp, the entire selection is done on an sql query.

So aside from abandoning it I can think of three possibilities.

1) I convince the world of XBMC to shift favourites from xml to sql
2) Add an additional field to the movies db to store a boolean (toggled on adding/removing from favourites and then I'm thinking it'll have to be regularly sync'd to the contents of favourites.xml to ensure consistency which seems like a ton of work) flagging whether the media is a favourite or not
3) Add a process to smart playlists where the results from the query are individually assessed by a call to IsFavourite() and removed from the results if false (or not)

I'd prefer a mix of 1 & 2, first ditching favourites.xml and simply utilising a boolean value in the table('s) to indicate if something was a favourite or not. Then anything wanting to read favourites could just run queries to retrieve the favourites, even be context aware - ie: different favourites returned depending on what view and context you're in. But that would be a pretty massive shift (though IMO much cleaner).

That leaves #3, which would be an ugly hack methinks. And there I was thinking I might be able to just add, at most, another join to the query Sad
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dynamic/Smart Playlists feature added0