XBMC for touch screens
Well all I can say in reply is that I have 6 10.1 android tabs and xbmc controls and touch screen functions work great. I'm using retouched, default and amber skins on these tabs and am happy as Larry with nothing being to small for my fat hoofs and have nothing hidden.
I will point out that our Skinners do a fantastic job of work to which I say well done.
You need to play around with different skins until you find 1 that you like or failing that start to build a skin of your own.
(2014-03-06, 19:07)Martijn Wrote: Then i suggest you start making your own theme to fit your needs. I'm sure over time more tablet skins will come but that's not our main job.

And using XBMC on a < 7" is just stupid. I use it on a 7" with several skin and i do not have any issue.

(2014-03-06, 19:11)nooryani84 Wrote: Asking for themes designed for something < 7" is like asking for Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC when you have 512 TB without any RAID.

I disagree. I use XBMC on my iPhone all the time, and I would kill for a small-screen/phone skin. XBMC is the only way to get Hulu to work on a mobile device, and for iOS it is one of the few ways to get full audio decoding support. People have been watching videos on 4-6 inch screens for a long time, and it's not that bad at all :)

I think now that we have better hardware decoding support for Android, we will have more interest in touch skins in general, which means a better chance of someone having interest in making a 4-6 inch touch skin.
(2014-03-06, 19:27)stoolzo Wrote: The PC version of XBMC is fully functional and has been for ages, it doesn't really need the Dev at the moment,

You are living in fantasy world - please stop it... (or have a look in our trac ticket system and see how "fully functional" the PC version is...).

Don't feed the troll. Phones are no valid use case for XBMC. This is a fact - you can discuss it as long as you want - its just working on phones by accident.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Android may have been an afterthought initially but it’s one of the biggest growing areas in the entertainment industry. Developing an XBMC client with dedicated skins / UI elements for Android is essential as ARM chipsets are now dominating the media playback industry. I’m not saying the PC is going anywhere, its still my main client but Android DEV needs to catch up and we need to see some acknowledgement of phone and tablet users in the way of UI / OSD usage.
Wake up dude.
Nobody said Android is an afterthought.
We are saying that XBMC is and always was designed for big screen TV's.

See our "about":
Quote:XBMC is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub that can be installed on Linux, OSX, Windows, iOS, and Android, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls.

So we do Android as in "Android set-top-box that connects to your TV" or at least large enough tablets.
Wake up dude, XBMC isn't meant to be used on phones. Dude.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Martijn, are you retarded?, do you understand the concept of time, evolution and change? what XBMC WAS is irrelevant, what it is now and can be, IS.

Where it is important to ensure XBMC is primarily a PC client at the moment, Android dev should now run parallel for setup boxes, phones, tablet TV and embedded ARM devices.

Again these are not demands as I am not a DEV myself, these are just topics of conversation and suggestions.
Last warning: Stop trolling (and insulting).
XBMC is not meant for phones. That 's not open for discussion. Don't expect anything from us in that regard.

As said earlier, it happens it *does* work for phones.
Stop whining and learn to create the small-screen skin of your dreams or look for someone who agrees with you in the skinning sub-forums.
I give up, i'll leave you all to bury your heads in the sand then.
* Martijn starts shovelling....and buries all the smartphones

first start wondering yourself why aren't there x amount of tablet suitable skins out there? Perhaps because skin devs don't see the need or real use of them. Perhaps in Gotham we will start seeing more of them but still that's makes using XBMC on a phone just to bloated to even start skinning for a 3,5"screen.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Whoa, what the heck happened here? First, stop calling stoolzo a troll. Even if he's acting like a dick or not, that's not the same as being a troll. If there's one thing I can't stand is people accusing others of trolling just because they have a different viewpoint.

Second, he's saying XBMC sucks on small touch screens. This is correct. He's saying XBMC needs better development in this area, this is correct. I'll be the first one to tell you that XBMC is aimed at the living room and a remote control, but that really does't explain the counter reaction to what he's saying. He could have used a better tone, but it really doesn't help to say that he's whining or that it's stupid to use XBMC on a small screen.

He had some observations and questions, then things needlessly escalated to insults, very early on. He wanted to push the limits of XBMC's usage and wasn't really being rude about it until people started telling him that he was stupid.
Sorry, Ned, but anything beyond post #7 I consider trolling.
Up to there, it was said that yes, xbmc is working on phones, no we as xbmc will probably not spend time developing a specific skin for < 7" screens and that if he wants better, he'll have to develop its own skin or find a skin dev ready to do so.

There was nothing else to add. Trying to convince us that phones are the future of XBMC is what I call trolling Wink
It's not really trolling if he believes it, though. Phones are certainly not going to be the main focus of XBMC in the future, but he's not alone in wanting to see better touch and small screen support. XBMC is far more practical on a small screen than some people might think, even now.

We have small-screen solutions that aren't that far away. For example, imagine a "headless" XBMC running on Android that used UPnP "play using" targets, that latches on (for lack of a better term) to the Android remote app. The number of people who use Yatse to both control XBMC and to launch an internal phone video player is another example. Those are both probably better than an actual small screen skin, too.

It's no more crazy to me than people who want to use a mouse to control XBMC :)
Well, yeah. I'm not saying there are no valid use cases.
The point is still that it will go through a dedicated small-screen skin and that I highly doubt we will make an "official" skin for that use case.

So it should be addressed as a 3rd party skin, which was answered 22 posts ago Wink
Read the Definition of a Troll on Wikipedia ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for touch screens1