Linux Serial IR reciever?
Hello. I have a serial to USB dongle that I have connected an IR receiver LED to. I have no idea how it works but when I hit buttons on a remote the LED's on the dongle blink, so the dongle appears to work.
My question is how do I set this up to work with XBMCbuntu?

Following the guide here ...http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Setup_Lirc ... When I enter "aclocal && autoheader && autoconf" I get...
Quote:command not found

If I carry on, ignoring that message and enter "./configure --with-x --with-driver=serial", It says...
Quote:You will have to use the lirc_serial kernel module. Now enter 'make' and 'make install' to compile and install the package.

So I enter "make && sudo make install", it shows the following...
Quote:root@Chris-HTPC:/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a# make && sudo make install
cd . \
&& CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS=config.h \
/bin/bash ./config.status
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
config.status: executing default-1 commands
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a'
Making all in drivers
make[2]: Entering directory `/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers'
Making all in lirc_dev
make[3]: Entering directory `/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev'
cp ./../lirc_dev/Module*.symvers .
cp: cannot stat `./../lirc_dev/Module*.symvers': No such file or directory
make[3]: [lirc_dev.o] Error 1 (ignored)
mv Makefile Makefile.automake
cp ./../Makefile.kernel Makefile
CPPFLAGS="" CFLAGS="" LDFLAGS="" \
make -C /lib/modules/3.5.0-46-generic/build/ SUBDIRS=/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev modules \
KBUILD_VERBOSE=1
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-46-generic'
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo; \
echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo; \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev/.tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev
gcc -Wp,-MD,/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev/.lirc_dev.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.7/include -I/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-46-generic/arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated -Iinclude -include /usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-46-generic/include/linux/kconfig.h -Iubuntu/include -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -mtune=generic -maccumulate-outgoing-args -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -Wframe-larger-than=1024 -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -DIRCTL_DEV_MAJOR=61 -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev/. -I/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev/ -I/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev/../.. -I/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev/../.. -I/lib/modules/3.5.0-46-generic/build//include/ -I/lib/modules/3.5.0-46-generic/build//drivers/media/video/ -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(lirc_dev)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(lirc_dev)" -c -o /etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev/.tmp_lirc_dev.o /etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c
/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:35:28: fatal error: linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[5]: *** [/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [_module_/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-46-generic'
make[3]: *** [lirc_dev.o] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers/lirc_dev'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a/drivers'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/etc/lirc/lirc-0.8.4a'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Then when I run "irrecord --driver=serial --device=/dev/ttyS0 MyRemote", I get...
Quote:Driver `serial' not supported.
Supported drivers:
accent
alsa_usb
asusdh
atilibusb
atwf83
audio
audio_alsa
awlibusb
bte
bw6130
commandir
creative
creative_infracd
devinput
dfclibusb
dsp
dvico
ea65
ftdi
i2cuser
irlink
irman
livedrive_midi
livedrive_seq
logitech
macmini
mp3anywhere
mplay
mplay2
mouseremote
mouseremote_ps2
null
pcmak
pinsys
pixelview
samsung
sb0540
silitek
srm7500libusb
tira
tira_raw
udp
uirt2
uirt2_raw
usb_uirt_raw
usbx

Can anyone suggest where I go from here?

Cheers,
Chris.
You can't connect a ir receiver direct to a usb-serial convertor. Buy a proper usb receiver.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Arh OK. Thanks.
Hi, I have the same problem, but I use a serial IR receiver(http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html) with an internal COM port on my motherboard.
I follow the instructions on this site: "http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Set_up_Lirc", but after the "user@computer:~/lirc-0.8.4a$ ./configure --with-x --with-driver=serial" line i get some warnings(for example: seems to ignore ... setting), and after the "user@computer:~/lirc-0.8.4a$ make && sudo make install" line I get an error message: "Driver 'serial' not supported".
I'm new in linux, and in English too. Sorry about this.

Thanks.
Why bother with serial when usb receivers are so cheap and available? Home made serial lirc is so 1997. Where are you proposing to even find a serial port? And why are you using lirc 0.84 when the latest is 0.92?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I use the serial receiver because I have a gigabyte gaj1800nd2h motherboard and the 2 internal usb and the lpt port is used.
I use 0.84 because on the official site in the installation section I read about that.
I hope I can make it work. Can you help me please?
I have to say that on my ubuntu precise install, the serial driver seems to be included in the lirc package. Why don't you try that first?
USB-RS232 Serial Converter won't work, you need a motherboard with serial port. Before i bought my first USB MCE receiver about 3 years ago I've been using ASUS motherboard
it didn't came by default with serial port connector i had to buy it and activate the port in BIOS.

If you have a computer with serial port and your com numbers is not com1 (replace "com3" with your computers com number)

Code:
./configure --enable-sandboxed --prefix=/usr --with-driver=com3

If you successfully build the module install and load the module
Code:
modprobe lirc_serial

I haven't tried it in years i hope nothing changed.
Taylorb9301 does have a serial port on his motherboard.

Taylor just try the ubuntu package for a start huh?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Serial IR reciever?0