How to properly setup XBMC and library for 3D playback
Ok, now we have Gotham and long awaited capability to play 3D movies. What I'm missing though is any information on how to use it. In several threads related to XBMC we can find bits and pieces of information, but nothing comprehensive. I tried to figure it out on my own, but I got stuck getting strange results. So if anyone have good experience (3D movies playback, 3D subtitles) please share!
For now I can play 3D movies and my TV is switching automatically to 3D mode (SBS) - great!
But I have an issue with subtitles and XBMC interface:
- if XBMC mode is set to 2D (System->System->Video output->Stereoscopic mode set to None) and I play 3D movie then TV switches automatically to 3D SBS mode and movie itself plays great, but subtitles are not rendered in 3D, but seems just overlaid on original image, so after splitting it to left/right and playing with interleave they are too wide and displayed like wrapped around right edge of screen. The same apply to user interface - it is not readable at all being stretched and wrapped along edge of screen...
- if I set XBMC right from the beginning into 3D mode (System->System->Video output->Stereoscopic mode set to Side by side), TV immediately jumps into 3D (so interface is displayed properly), but then I run into issues with movie playback. Subtitles and user interface displays properly, but movie itself seems to be duplicated horizontally, e.g. instead of seeing 3D picture I can only see it as it would be displayed in regular 2D mode with compressed left/right images of frame displayed side by side. Switching to 2D mode (e.g. forced TV to work in 2D) unveils proper left/right eye images for interface and subtitles, but movie seems 'quadrupled'... e.g I can see 4 images, probably in left/right/left/right order for each frame.
So bottom line, interface and subtitles are not displayed properly in 3D when TV recognises movie as being 3D (and this is thanks to Gotham sending proper signalling to TV, which up to Frodo XBMC was not capable to do so) or when in 3D mode movie is not rendered OK. My expectation would be to have all XBMC interface kept in 2D mode persistently, until 3D playback kick off and then switch to 3D interface/subtitles mode and 3D video playback. But now it seems to be sort of mixture... Any advice?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to properly setup XBMC and library for 3D playback0