• 3(current)
Android New Android KitKat Quad Core CPU/Octocore GPU TV boxes out in 16 days, thoughts?
But it will run xbmc fine right ? Bc I have one coming my way Smile
(2014-03-28, 02:43)davilla Wrote: For some reason, the stock firmware for the s802 has the device permissions messed up as well as some /sys/class ones.

check permissions on /dev/am*

if you look at your xbmc.log. Our AMCodec tried but fails to open. That's /dev/amvideo with wrong permissions.

LibAmlplayer headers are fine. It's really the headers for amcodec but they have not altered from jellybean... yet Smile

I believe its related to SELinux policies. Any hint on that one?
Give that trivial root is present on most of these boxes, SELinux policies mean squat Smile

It means that the firmware vendor is using the default value as provided by AMLogic for their reference boards and have forgotten that other apps besides the default AMLogic apps might want to have access to these devices. Only firmware signed apps (ie VideoPlayer) can access /dev/amcodec with the current default permission.
Got mine today and it runs so nice and plays video smooth
(2014-04-14, 10:34)Brinis Wrote: Got mine today and it runs so nice and plays video smooth

What did you get?
I also got mine dev board today (S802, 2gb ram, 8gb nand) with stock fw installed (kitkat 4.4.2). Still did not root it to get the apk.

XBMC represents itself as version 14-alpha1, but its obviously gotham, dont know which version tho, but its working using amcodec. Will have more info on all this when I root the box (too lazy atm to boot into windows now, Linux user here Big Grin)
(2014-04-03, 13:49)Packetcrypt Wrote: Looks like Davilla was correct Smile

HI Guys:

We get the first bulk of Tronsmart vega s89 in stock,and finish this passthrough review. Here is my test device:

1 Tronsmart vega s89 quad core tv box;

2 Yamaha RX-375 5.1 Receiver

3 Yamaha NS-P40 Speaker

I test different 1080p mkv, ts format local video file, and use built-in XBMC to play them!

First test the HDMI Passthrough, here is how i connect the tronsmart with receiver and TV.

I use one male to male HDMI Cable to connect tronsmart vega s89 and the yamaha receiver( use the hdmi in port in receiver) and then use another male to male hdmi cable connect the receiver with TV ( use receiver’s hdmi out port).

and on the tronsmart vega s89 setting, i change the audio output to hdmi passthrough, and enable passthrough on xbmc.

Here is the test result:

1 Dolby (AC3) 5.1 HDMI passthrough ——–OK

2 DTS 5.1 HDMI passthrough——-OK

3 DTS-HD HRA 5.1HDMI passthrough—–OK

4 DTS-HD MA 5.1 HDMI passthrough—OK

5 Dolby True-HD 5.1 HDMI Passthrough—can’t work, reciver just show 2.1, not 5.1;

So, seems the HDMI passthrough is working ok, but there is something problem with optical passthrough. I have reported this problem to factory, and check if they can fix it.

any questions, feel free to leave message here!

Eric

Hi Eric

Will the HD audio most likely get fixed in an firmware update?
And, I can`t see the CPU/GPU in this <list>. So I don`t know file types it supports etc. Is this maybe some info you can tell?
I wonder because I have many movies in *.iso and *.img file types. And would like to still be able to watch these movies.

(2014-04-14, 10:34)Brinis Wrote: Got mine today and it runs so nice and plays video smooth

Do you have some info to tell?
Video or something?

And, is there anyone that have compared this with an MiniX NEO X7? Or is this almost the same.
(I ask because I have difficult to find this in Norway(Tronsmart))
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
I just deletet the one that was on and put in the latest gotham. Don't think you need to root it. I think it s all done. Smile
I'll put some more info up when I have time to play with it. To much work right now. But till now it works fine Smile
I'm getting mine this week and I have a x7 so I can compare for you.
Brinis ; ilovemymac

Sounds great. Look forewords to hear from you both.

What is the real different betwean them, I see two things that stands out. CPU on MiniX NEO 7 is 1,6 vs 2.0 at Tronsmart Vega. And GPU is 400 on Minix and 450 on Tronsmart. I will think this has much to say?
(2014-04-06, 02:15)davilla Wrote: Give that trivial root is present on most of these boxes, SELinux policies mean squat Smile

It means that the firmware vendor is using the default value as provided by AMLogic for their reference boards and have forgotten that other apps besides the default AMLogic apps might want to have access to these devices. Only firmware signed apps (ie VideoPlayer) can access /dev/amcodec with the current default permission.

Davilla, is there any place we can chat and do some brainstorming on XBMC kitkat issue? My email is svlasic [at] Google mail dot com..

What I know as of yet:
- As you told me, no access to /dev/amvideo
- Gotham works in sort of way when all hw acceleration is disabled except libstagefright
- I did not try to compile gotham with headers changed to mine version of kk 4.4 sources (from march)
Patrick is right one should go with celeron based PC with XMBC
(2014-04-15, 06:50)pettergulbra Wrote: Brinis ; ilovemymac

Sounds great. Look forewords to hear from you both.

What is the real different betwean them, I see two things that stands out. CPU on MiniX NEO 7 is 1,6 vs 2.0 at Tronsmart Vega. And GPU is 400 on Minix and 450 on Tronsmart. I will think this has much to say?

Different processors rockchip in the minix and amlogic in the tronsmart. And the gpu is quad core on minix octocore 8 cores on tronsmart. It will power a 4k TV.
I will think it is a big difference in appearance on that GPUs :-)

I have read that Amlogic is the best for XBMC, don`t remember where.
Is this true?

And I really want an box with IR. It should stand in the living room, so this is essential.
I also know people is saying an NUC could be better, but the price is in an all other part of the world, and little IR support on them originally.
NUC is not that great. Especially for the cost. By the time you add ram, storage and so on. I am doing a review on the tronsmart Vega, Amazon Fire and Minix x7 hope to have it up tonight
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Android KitKat Quad Core CPU/Octocore GPU TV boxes out in 16 days, thoughts?1