• 4(current)
Android New Android KitKat Quad Core CPU/Octocore GPU TV boxes out in 16 days, thoughts?
Quote:I am doing a review on the tronsmart Vega, Amazon Fire and Minix x7 hope to have it up tonight
Looking forward to it. I have two Fire TV's and really like XBMC on them, but was thinking of trying other Android boxes to see if they're better for XBMC and those that allow storage expansion (vs. Fire TV's 8GB limit).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-04-15, 19:12)ilovemymac Wrote: NUC is not that great. Especially for the cost. By the time you add ram, storage and so on. I am doing a review on the tronsmart Vega, Amazon Fire and Minix x7 hope to have it up tonight

Can`t wait! :-)
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
I have received mine and I have to say XBMC nightlies run great. Software 5.1 passthrough works, dtsHD and DD-TrueHD not so much yet.
(2014-04-15, 06:51)stane1983 Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 02:15)davilla Wrote: Give that trivial root is present on most of these boxes, SELinux policies mean squat Smile

It means that the firmware vendor is using the default value as provided by AMLogic for their reference boards and have forgotten that other apps besides the default AMLogic apps might want to have access to these devices. Only firmware signed apps (ie VideoPlayer) can access /dev/amcodec with the current default permission.

Davilla, is there any place we can chat and do some brainstorming on XBMC kitkat issue? My email is svlasic [at] Google mail dot com..

What I know as of yet:
- As you told me, no access to /dev/amvideo
- Gotham works in sort of way when all hw acceleration is disabled except libstagefright
- I did not try to compile gotham with headers changed to mine version of kk 4.4 sources (from march)

you got my email ?
Just stumbled on this thread and I'm interested. Currently run a Revo 1600, mostly streaming 720p to XBMC on a hacked Apple TV 2. Sometimes use XBMC on the the Revo in the home theater.

I've been looking to upgrade, both the ATV2 and the Revo. Had considered the Fire TV and a DN2820FYKH0 (if I can find one). Would the Vega or the Minix X8 be better alternatives to the Fire TV? Could I skip the NUC and do a Synology box?

Anyone care to enlighten me if you have the time? Thanks.
The fire TV advantage is the amazon prime. Otherwise the vega would be good or the minix x8
Thanks ilovemymac.

What are you streaming from?
I have an nas 2tb drive and then many addons I use.
NUC > s802 / x8 / FireTV > rk3188 device > rk3066 > Raspberry Pi
Thanks noderat. Clears things up. Think I'll get the Fire TV and start tinkering.
Was playing with min today. All movies are fine but the sound is way to fast and can't get it to fit the movie. So went back to my old mx box again. That one is fine.
So need to look in to have to fix the sound thing on the new one. Sad
You must have root for audio sync to work, there are some permissions that xbmc needs to reset. Check out the freaktab forum we've been doing a bunch of testing and are working with geekbuying to fix issues.
(2014-04-18, 03:28)noderat Wrote: You must have root for audio sync to work, there are some permissions that xbmc needs to reset. Check out the freaktab forum we've been doing a bunch of testing and are working with geekbuying to fix issues.

Thank you. I'll look how to root it. I have no idea how to do it but we'll google is my best friend sometimes. Smile but thank you Smile
There is a FAQ on the freaktab.com forums I made explaining how to set it all up.
Done and now the audio is fine.. And I did not need to do something just root it and then the audio was fine I'm so happy Smile

But I have a new question. Smile
When you go in settings - advanced is says location shanghai. Is there a way to change that ? It keeps showing me the weather in Shanghai and I don't like to se how warm and sunny it is there. I would like it to show the bad weather I have here I Denmark Smile
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Android KitKat Quad Core CPU/Octocore GPU TV boxes out in 16 days, thoughts?1