• 3(current)
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]
Long strings = big problem in translation to other languages.

Video acceleration is a massive long string to translate.

Google translate says

Video acceleration

Aceleração de vídeo < Portuguese.
Video-Beschleunigung < German
przyspieszenie wideo < polish

Media manager

Gerenciador de media
Gestor de multimedia

Spanish and simila languanges is massive long.

for e.g as a guidance how long it will get.

Like that youre gonna run out of space fast, so an extra layer is necessary to simplify internationalization as I'm sure no one wants to see scrolling of labels.
I did wonder how long translations could get which is why I originally suggested the 3rd layer.

Any alternatives to Media Manager/Management? bearing in mind is how both files lists and media in the Library are handled.

Would just Media be enough?
Well I would change Media Management to Media (as Playback is not called 'Playback Management') and then move video acceleration setting under Video playback - like it used to be in Frodo.

That avoids 3 layer menu and works with translation.

Here's a modification of Option Three (with system-wide a/v IO moved to a new area, again just an idea to keep 2 layers rather than 3):

- Appearance
- Screensaver
- Skin

- Playback
- Audio CDs
- DVDs
- Live TV
- Music
- Karaoke
- Video - MERGED WITH - Video Acceleration
- Subtitles

- Media
- Add Media (new section as per suggestion, possibly change to Manage Media/Sources or similar?)
- General (taken from Appearance)
- Music Library
- Music Lists
- Picture Lists
- Video Library
- Video Lists

- Live TV
- General
- Menu/OSD
- EPG
- Recording
- Power Saving
- Parental Control
- Client Specific

- Add-ons (non-alphabetical ordering for sanity)
- Disabled Add-ons
- Enabled Add-ons
- Get Add-ons
- Install from zip file
- Search

- Services (non-alphabetical ordering for sanity)
- General
- UPnP
- Webserver
- Remote Control
- Zeroconf
- AirPlay
- Pictures
- Weather

- Output
- Audio (Audio Output) taken from System
- Video (Video Output) ""

- System
- Debugging
- Input Devices
- Internet Access
- Master Lock
- Power Saving
- Region (name change from 'International' to 'Regional' or 'Region')
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Here's something to make it more clear (I hope)

Red = wasted space
Blue = Space saved

Is the Appearance section needed? Would moving Screensaver and Skin categories into System make sense?
(2014-03-15, 14:51)jjd-uk Wrote: Is the Appearance section needed? Would moving Screensaver and Skin categories into System make sense?

That was my first thought, but I think of initial users and a good flow - Appearance may be small but I think it does deserve its own space. The title could always be changed to 'Styling' and Skin Setting could be moved to create a thord option.

- Styling
-- Skin
-- Skin Settings
-- Screensaver

I don't see longer labels as a problem since now with settings descriptions you can make actual settings labels shorter and those don't have to be so specific and detailed anymore.
(2014-03-15, 15:17)SpaceMonkey Wrote: I don't see longer labels as a problem since now with settings descriptions you can make actual settings labels shorter and those don't have to be so specific and detailed anymore.

+1 on that point. Also Video Acceleration could simply be merged with the rest of the video settings, or called H/W Acceleration.

I think what he means is you can instead of calling it e.g. Video Acceleration you can just call it Acceleration and have the description detail what it is it does.

Longer labels will still be a problem is some languages irrespective you only have so much space in any filed for so many letters before field scrolls
(2014-03-15, 15:52)uNiversal Wrote: I think what he means is you can instead of calling it e.g. Video Acceleration you can just call it Acceleration and have the description detail what it is it does.

Longer labels will still be a problem is some languages irrespective you only have so much space in any filed for so many letters before field scrolls

I see the point now, considering Acceleration only applies to Video, it doesn't need to have Video is a prefix. That still stands without any changes in order.

I'm not entirely sure why the acceleration settings were split out, personally I don't like the term Acceleration even though it's technically correct. How about "Video Decode"?
Personally I dont mind Acceleration (clear and technically correct) but just Decoding would be enough.

I actually agree it was split into own specific because you now have options to accelerate pretty much any codec independently choose which to pass to gpu/cpu or not and keeping it where it was before was going to be huge and confusing to be mixed with non related options.
Also depending on platform and OS the list of options grows a lot here on this menu alone.
That probably because the changes were mostly on Linux, on Windows there's no change in available options.
Regarding "Appearance", the logical step would be for skin settings to appear there in the future perhaps?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2014-03-15, 23:19)jmarshall Wrote: Regarding "Appearance", the logical step would be for skin settings to appear there in the future perhaps?

I agree with that as well, it keeps consistency with all skins and set ups.

• 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]0