Linux [SOLVED] Linux question
I'll check that.

My Motorola nyxboard control keys don't work. My source types are none and when I change them, nothing happens. So, I can't use smart playlists. I have to view my media in file mode. Why won't the libraries retain the movie type?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I've been messing around all day and my sources got copied over when I did my userdata copy but when inset content type for each one it doesn't do anything and when I go back it says none again.

The Nyxboard fast forward and rewind buttons don't work either. Just kinda starting to wish I left everything alone lol.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
What version of openelec are you using?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It just upgrade to 6.9.2 I think it was. I still have it on my ion machine but I just couldn't get it to work right on my main machine. Sources wouldn't scrape and not save the type I gave it. I spent all day fiddling with it and said screw it. Inkhead tonsure file mode and FF and RW on my Nyxboard didn't work anyways.
I'd still like to know why I couldn't save sources in OpenElec on my main box. It's almost like the file or whole directory was write protected. I kept adding new sources without even using advancedsources.xml and adding them and they wouldn't scrape. When I went back to set content for the source it would say none every time. My ION machine works fine so I'm left wondering why it didn't work right on my i3 machine. I wasn't sure how to check permissions as I only had access via Windows. Any suggestions? I'd like to use it on my living room PC. On a side note, the fact that the fast forward and rewind buttons didn't work on my Nyxboard didn't help.
You can check permissions by sshing in and using ls -la at the command line. You get something like rwxrwxrwx - three lots of permissions for Owner, Group and Other.

If you have advancedsettings.xml set up to correctly point to a mysql database then you don't technically need the sources defined, although you'll want to do it if you want to re-scan from this PC or do anything other than query the library.

I must confess that I'd simply edit the file from the command line - brutal but quick. If you want to try it:

1. Open a known-good sources.xml file in Notepad and copy everything to the clipboard.
2. ssh to the box
3. cd .xbmc/userdata
4. vi advancedsettings.xml
5. i
6: <paste>
7. <esc>
8. :w
9. :q

This will insert the text into the file - if you need to delete stuff, use "dd" on each line you don't want after step 7. And if you get it wrong, press <esc> and type :q! to get out without saving.

I'd still look into copying the file to where you can write it, though, and using mv from the command line to shift it into userdata.

Regarding the Nyxboard... I don't have one, so can't really suggest. There seem to be some old posts suggesting that the Hybrid (?) has some issues, and it may be solvable with some gratuitous key remapping - but that means more text file editing, so that means (a) mastering vi, (b) understing mv or © solving the SMB write issue.

It's unusual to have this many issues, I must say... but I guess that's not necessarily helpful when you're grinding your teeth and swearing at the television :-)
Yeah, I had copied the sources.xml and advancedsettings.xml so I knew there would be no need to add the sources. In fact, I could see the sources but the content type was none. If I changed it to movies, it would do something half a second when I choose to scan the source and then nothing. Going back, the content type was none again every time. It seems like copying that advancedsettings.xml caused the sources file to not be not modifyable or something. Maybe I'll install to a a USB stick and try what you suggested for creating a new advancedsettings file with vi. I don't mind re scraping as long as it is using the SQL database and maintains the watched status for all my episodes and movies. If I can get it to work and sync with the database, I'd gladly just buy the same MCE remote I use in my bedroom and use my diNovo mini when I need keyboard input. The Nyxboard has always had the problem of being recognized after a reboot so I've been looking to replace it anyways.
Well Prof, that seems to have worked. I vi'd my sources.xml and pasted in what was in my userdata folder and did the same for advancedsettings.xml. The only problem is that I couldn't copy over the whole userdata folder so every source had to rescrape. I'm not sure if it's even connected to the database because all my watched flags are gone.

EDIT: Well I double checked the advancedsettings.xml and noticed a few character missing from the top of the file. I fixed those, rebooted the machine and now all my watched markets are back. I'm being more cautious this time soil run it off USB for a while. It seems as though the permissions on the files I copied to userdata before had gotten screwed up and caused everything to be read only. After following your instructions to vi the advancedsettings right in openelec, everything worked perfectly. I had to endure a lot of time re scraping but that was no big deal.
Excellent - hopefully, you're mostly on the way to the goal now, so fingers crossed.

Re: the Nyxboard/MCE, I swear by (rather than at) Pulse8's CEC adapters if your TV is supported. They're not cheap, and don't have every option under the sun mapped, but work seamlessly for me and the convenience of using the TV remote to control XBMC can't be beaten IMHO. Have a think if you do decide to check the Motorola unit.

Oh, and thanks for the +votes. Much appreciated.
nm
(2014-03-16, 19:12)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Excellent - hopefully, you're mostly on the way to the goal now, so fingers crossed.

Re: the Nyxboard/MCE, I swear by (rather than at) Pulse8's CEC adapters if your TV is supported. They're not cheap, and don't have every option under the sun mapped, but work seamlessly for me and the convenience of using the TV remote to control XBMC can't be beaten IMHO. Have a think if you do decide to check the Motorola unit.

Oh, and thanks for the +votes. Much appreciated.

The votes are the least can do. You are the best kind of contributor who patiently helps people. Others would tell me to a Google or point to a wiki. Yo understood my problems and got me running.

Been running all day off the USB stick and everything is synced - watched status, where I left off, etc.

I posted my woes on the OpenElec forums before you helped me and a few other reported the same thing. I gave them the same steps so hopefully I can pay it forward. One guy thought his system booted too fast for it to connect to the network in time. That might make a little sense but I'm running on a USB stick now and had it installed on a SSD which isn't a huge difference in speed.

Oh, and on remotes no matter what I try he fast forward and crewing buttons won't work on my Nyxboard. That plus it gets unrecognized on reboot made me order another Ortek MCE remote which I use in my bedroom and love it. In fact, I plugged in to the living room because I found a how to on getting the Harmony Touch remote to control XBMC. I thought it work work with that receiver but no go. It would be nice to gave my Harmony control XBMC but at least a working remote is good.

I wish someone would develop a dedicated XBMC remote. Maybe have it control with RF and have a slide out keyboard like some phones use to be. The Nyxboard is almost perfect because it has a keyboard on the flip side but the broken transport controls and unrecognized after reboot kind of kill it for me.
I've never hjad a ptroblem with the nyxboard being recognised, or functioning as it should in terms of button presses. I don't like the buttons though, find them too 'clicky' (for want of a better word).

If you want a good responsive remote that is simple to set up and very very flexible, you can't go past this http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Sapphire_Remote

No keyboard, but very nice to use.

For a keyboard I use the on screen or a Rii like this http://dx.com/p/genuine-rii-mini-i8-wire...yYozM5pJlk
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well after a full day of use on a USB stick I pulled the trigger and installed on my SSD again. I ssh'd in and created the sources and advancedsettings xml's and all is working perfectly. I am synced with my SQL database.

The Nyxboard fast forward and rewind don't work so I don't know if you're using it in Windows Nickr. I've always had the problem of when rebooting and powering up and I have to unplug and replug the dongle in. That Sapphire remote looks ok but it's for Linux and the driver has to be compiled. I use my Logitech remote for everything else so optimally I'd like to get it working with XBMC. I followed the instructions I found somewhere about creating the device in the Harmony software. However, it won't work with the receiver I have for my Ortek so I'll use that remote until I find out a way to get my Harmony remote to work.
I am using linux. It's a while since I used the nyxboard, I must try again some time.

Me use windows on an HTPC? Wash your mouth out!

The sapphire just seems to work on openelec's inbuilt drivers, although I haven't explored all the buttons to see if they do something useful.

On ubuntu or pretty well any other distro compiling the driver is a no brainer, if you can ssh into a computer and create an advancedsettings.xml file then you can compile and set up this driver!
I'll take a closer look at it. I'm beginning to see what you mean by wash my mouth out with using Windows lol. I don't even see much reason to use Linux. OpenElec is the perfect solution. It installs an OS made for one purpose: to run XBMC. It boots on my SSD in just a few seconds and runs perfectly. There's no desktop to worry about or drivers or anything. Installing it gives you XBMC and automatically recognizes your hardware. I have it running on my i3 homebuilt system on a 65" Panasonic 3D TV with a Pioneer AV receiver. It plays movies in HD audio perfectly and plays 3D movies perfectly just like the Windows counterpart. It makes the htpc an XBMC appliance which is all I really need. No need to have Windows on my TV and have to download drivers and manually run XBMC on bootup. Thanks to Prof for pushing me in the right direction!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED] Linux question0